It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC RSS Feeds in Outlook

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | asked Jun 30 '11, 6:02 a.m.
HI All,

Require guidance on troubleshooting RTC feeds issue in Outlook

Problem:
RTC Feeds in outlook does not work on selecting "Add new RSS feeds"
It works only if RTC Feeds link is used in the home page link of "RSS Feeds" icon in Outlook and authenticated atleast once

Description:

- RSS feeds work fine in Outlook in general

- Our RTC user credentials are integrated with LDAP

- In RTC server - Advanced properties - Atom 1.0 is set for "Feed Rendering Scheme"

- Tried RSS Feeds in Outlook 2007 and 2010

- On right clicking "RSS Feeds" and choosing "Add new RSS Feeds", it throws an error that the feeds link may not point to a valid source
The workaround that we managed was, Right click on RSS Feeds in the Outlook folders, choose properties, change the home page link to RTC Feeds link. It will open the RTC login page for authentication. Then, click on "Add New RSS feed" , provide the RTC feeds link. The feed will work fine

- Tried with RTC feeds properties ( in authenticated and non-authenticated mode ) Outlook requires authentication to RTC URL atleast once for the session for the feeds to work fine.

- On restarting Outlook, it requires a new authentication in the RSS home page, else feeds fail to update for the entire session

Can someone tell me what should be checked here to add RTC feeds directly to Outlook ? Also, why does RTC require authentication in every Outlook session ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Pavithra

4 answers

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Jul 11 '11, 11:07 a.m.
Outlook might have issues with form based authentication. You can find
out if form based is used by typing
the feed url into the browser and seeing if a form is shown. if so, you
need to set feeds to use basic auth.

On 05.07.2011 2:23, rschoon wrote:
pranganwrote:
Thank you, Ralph
But we don't use https. Is it still valid in our case with default
tomcat configuration ?

Hi Pavithra,

HTTPS is the standard setup with tomcat as far as I know.

PS: Other than that I have too few experience with Outlook and RTc to
be of much help.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 05 '11, 2:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, I can only guess that the authentication in outlook is due to the server certificate. If it is your own RTC server you would want to provide a valid self signed certificate to the server so that the host name in the certificate matches the real host name.

permanent link
Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | answered Jul 05 '11, 7:10 a.m.
Thank you, Ralph

But we don't use https. Is it still valid in our case with default tomcat configuration ?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 05 '11, 8:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thank you, Ralph

But we don't use https. Is it still valid in our case with default tomcat configuration ?

Hi Pavithra,

HTTPS is the standard setup with tomcat as far as I know.

PS: Other than that I have too few experience with Outlook and RTc to be of much help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.