It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Git/Hg/Svn mirror of RTC SCM repository

Ben Butler-Cole (111) | asked Jun 23 '11, 6:45 a.m.
Hello

I'm interested in maintaining an external mirror of an RTC STM repository using an alternative SCM (Git, Mercurial or Subversion). My hope is that changes to the code in RTC would be mirrored in the external repository.

I'd like to do this so that existing tools which integrate with the other SCMs could be used with RTC.

Does anyone know if this has been done already? Or whether it is possible in principle.

I'm aware of existing integrations between RTC and Git or Subversion, but they seem to be aimed at completely replacing the built-in RTC SCM with an external one. This isn't an option in the environment that I'm working with -- it is necessary to keep RTC SCM as the master repository.

Thanks for your help.
-Ben

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 23 '11, 11:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello

I'm interested in maintaining an external mirror of an RTC STM repository using an alternative SCM (Git, Mercurial or Subversion). My hope is that changes to the code in RTC would be mirrored in the external repository.

I'd like to do this so that existing tools which integrate with the other SCMs could be used with RTC.

Does anyone know if this has been done already? Or whether it is possible in principle.

I'm aware of existing integrations between RTC and Git or Subversion, but they seem to be aimed at completely replacing the built-in RTC SCM with an external one. This isn't an option in the environment that I'm working with -- it is necessary to keep RTC SCM as the master repository.

Thanks for your help.
-Ben

Hi Bn

Very interesting question. I am not aware of anyone else trying this.

You almost want some sort of trigger event that causes Git/etc to grab the files when they change in RTC. You could potentially write a server-side plugin against the deliver or checkin event.

I suspect the problem is getting an equivalence of RTC stream and repo workspace vs the way Git or other tools handle branches.

anthony

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Jun 23 '11, 11:51 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is not currently supported. Here are a couple of work items requesting this type of functionality.

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/108886
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/40296

Michael

permanent link
Ben Butler-Cole (111) | answered Jun 23 '11, 12:00 p.m.
Yes, that does sound like the same kind of thing. Our needs are probably simpler: we would treat the external repository as read-only, so we just need one-way synchronization from RTC to that repo.

-Ben

permanent link
Ben Butler-Cole (111) | answered Jun 23 '11, 12:04 p.m.
This is not currently supported.

Do you mean that no such integration exists, or that writing such an integration is impossible given the current facilities of the RTC SCM API?

-Ben

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 23 '11, 6:46 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
What was meant was that no such integration currently exists. One could
be written using the RTC SCM client API.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 6/23/2011 12:53 PM, benbc wrote:
mvalentawrote:
This is not currently supported.

Do you mean that no such integration exists, or that writing such an
integration is impossible given the current facilities of the RTC SCM
API?

-Ben

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.