It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query on Tags rename through DB side

iRAM Administrator (3152156135) | asked Jun 14 '11, 10:00 a.m.
We have one community where 393 assets are marked with a specific tag. This tag which is same for all 393 assets are added by different users (63 in number).
We have the requirement to change this tag to a different name. But since many users are owners of this tag for 393 assets, it is not possible to contact all of them and ask them to rename the tag using My Dashboard tag rename feature.
We checked the RAM DB and found that tags can be renamed by running an update query on the TAG table of the DB. But we are not sure if running the update query to rename a single tag would have any risks or negative impact.
So we want to confirm, if there are any risks involved in this task.
Please guide us on the same.

One answer

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Jun 14 '11, 4:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We do not support manual modification of the database so what you're asking to do is not something we have tested. I do know that after the update query you would have to restart the server and rebuild the asset index for the changes to be picked up. I'm not sure if there are other potential side effects so I suggest you thoroughly test the change in a staging system.

How do you plan to prevent users from adding this tag in the future? Tags are not really intended to be a formal way of classifying assets, but instead helpful associations added by various users. If you're looking for something more formal I would suggest categorizing the asset or adding an attribute. You would have more control over this and could easily change the name in the future.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.