It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: how to set the behavior of work item attribute

Jeff Wu (676) | asked Jun 09 '11, 8:39 a.m.
I cound not find the capability in RTC to set the behavior for work item attributes. Like set an attribute as Readonly or Optional or Mandatory in the different state. CQ is able to do it easyly.

7 answers

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Jun 09 '11, 5:33 p.m.
I cound not find the capability in RTC to set the behavior for work item attributes. Like set an attribute as Readonly or Optional or Mandatory in the different state. CQ is able to do it easyly.

Open Project Area, and under Process Configuration, move down to Team Configuration level, find Operation Behavior, and click on work items in matrix.
you have several operations available for work items which describe what you can do with work item attributes on changing states on them.

permanent link
Jeff Wu (676) | answered Jun 10 '11, 11:04 a.m.

Open Project Area, and under Process Configuration, move down to Team Configuration level, find Operation Behavior, and click on work items in matrix.
you have several operations available for work items which describe what you can do with work item attributes on changing states on them.

Hi Milan,
I could not find the function to define the behavior of attribute of work item by following your approach. My purpose is, like an attribute in Defect, I want it to be Masdatory in New state, user has to type in value or make a selection if it is a pull-down list. And once this defect goes to InProgress, I want it to be Readonly, use is able to see it but not able to modify it. In CQ, it is very easy to define this in the behavior matrix of record fields. It seems RTC does not have this capability, may be I did not find it.
Thanks for your help.
Jeff

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 14 '11, 12:34 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Milan is correct. In the Eclipse Client right click the project are, select open and change to the Project area editor. Then follow his advice.

This kind of behavior is changed with conditions on saving a work item.

Ralph

Hi Milan,
I could not find the function to define the behavior of attribute of work item by following your approach. My purpose is, like an attribute in Defect, I want it to be Masdatory in New state, user has to type in value or make a selection if it is a pull-down list. And once this defect goes to InProgress, I want it to be Readonly, use is able to see it but not able to modify it. In CQ, it is very easy to define this in the behavior matrix of record fields. It seems RTC does not have this capability, may be I did not find it.
Thanks for your help.
Jeff

permanent link
Ismael Serrano Hidalgo (342812) | answered Jun 27 '11, 11:51 a.m.
Hi,

Milan is correct. In the Eclipse Client right click the project are, select open and change to the Project area editor. Then follow his advice.

This kind of behavior is changed with conditions on saving a work item.

Ralph

Hi Milan,
Thanks for your help.
Jeff Hi all,
Thus, your suggestion is to create a precondition in order to check the attributes behaviour based on the state? In that case, it would be triggered once is saved the WI, and is not a valid option, because the attributes must be in read only before the user tries to modify them.

If you don't mean a precondition, please give me-us a hand.

Thanks very much in advance

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 27 '11, 12:10 p.m.
Hi all,
Thus, your suggestion is to create a precondition in order to check the attributes behaviour based on the state? In that case, it would be triggered once is saved the WI, and is not a valid option, because the attributes must be in read only before the user tries to modify them.

There is a required properties precondition that takes care for the required ones in each state. This is also used by the default workflows. Have you looked at that?

Read Only must be configured in the Project Area>Process Configuration>Configuration Data>Work Items>Editor Presentations.

These are the places I am aware of.

RTC is not ClearQuest and things are done differently in RTC. Also CQ can do things today RTC can't.

Don't hesitate to file a work item if you require something RTC can't provide today. There are several already for things that we can't do today.

permanent link
Ismael Serrano Hidalgo (342812) | answered Jun 28 '11, 3:32 a.m.
Hi all,

There is a required properties precondition that takes care for the required ones in each state. This is also used by the default workflows. Have you looked at that?

Read Only must be configured in the Project Area>Process Configuration>Configuration Data>Work Items>Editor Presentations.

These are the places I am aware of.

RTC is not ClearQuest and things are done differently in RTC. Also CQ can do things today RTC can't.

Don't hesitate to file a work item if you require something RTC can't provide today. There are several already for things that we can't do today. Hi Ralph,

First of all, thanks very much for your response, I do appreciate it.

The required properties are related to mandatory properties in a certain state, which is pretty good. Unfortunately, there is no a precondition of
something like "Read-Only attributes"...
On the other hand, in the Project Area> Process Configuration> Configuration Data>Work Items>Editor Presentations we just can decide if an attribute is read only or not, or to hide it in some states. I'm pretty sure that in the next RTC release we will find something like "Read only in Workflow States" option :-)

Anyway, the team I'm working with had found an enhancement, so we will update it in order to put a bit of more pressure to have this functionality in the next release. The enhancement is the following one:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=161824

To end with, just to say that CQ can do things that RTC cannot...but also RTC can do things that CC/CQ cannot!!

Regards,
ISMAEL

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jun 28 '11, 3:56 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

First of all, thanks very much for your response, I do appreciate it.

The required properties are related to mandatory properties in a certain state, which is pretty good. Unfortunately, there is no a precondition of
something like "Read-Only attributes"...
On the other hand, in the Project Area> Process Configuration> Configuration Data>Work Items>Editor Presentations we just can decide if an attribute is read only or not, or to hide it in some states. I'm pretty sure that in the next RTC release we will find something like "Read only in Workflow States" option :-)

Anyway, the team I'm working with had found an enhancement, so we will update it in order to put a bit of more pressure to have this functionality in the next release. The enhancement is the following one:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=161824

To end with, just to say that CQ can do things that RTC cannot...but also RTC can do things that CC/CQ cannot!!

Regards,
ISMAEL

Hi Ismael,

thanks for making me aware of the work item, I got myself subscribed to it. I am sure there are other users out there asking for this kind of functionality. Actually I thought it would be there already - I confused it with hide in workflow states.

Your last statement is very true indeed. with respect to RTC we need to identify the gaps with the biggest impact on users and get them supported. Thanks for throwing in your use case, we appreciate it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.