It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sharing Code between Project Areas

Matthias Böhmer (1462019) | asked May 30 '08, 5:50 a.m.
Hello,

am I able to share Code between project areas? We have two projects developing in J2ME, and both want to use key functionalities like logging. There are common util classes in our organization. Is it possible to share code, e.g. on the base of components oder eclipse projects, between project areas? We do not want to set up a common project area, because of the organizational overhead.

Best regards
mboehmer

3 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered May 30 '08, 6:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is very much supported. Start by deciding which project will own the main development of the common code and put the code for the shared code into it's own component and into a stream.

Now any project area can add that component to their stream. Open the stream editor and click the Add... button and select to either pick a baseline or latest in another stream. Then navigate to the component with the shared code. I recommend that the provider of the shared code create snapshots or baselines for releases of that shared code, and the consumer can add the approved baselines to their streams.

Jean-Michel
Jazz Source Control Team

permanent link
Matthias Böhmer (1462019) | answered May 30 '08, 7:33 a.m.
Okay, sounds good! But is everybody able to contribute code to the new component? Or are only those developers of the project taken over the main development able to deliver change-sets?

mboehmer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 30 '08, 1:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Everyone can contribute to the new component, in as many parallel
"streams" as you wish.

Cheers,
Geoff

mboehmer wrote:
Okay, sounds good! But is everybody able to contribute code to the new
component? Or are only those developers of the project taken over the
main development able to deliver change-sets?

mboehmer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.