It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

does JBE support ant's -propertyfile arg?

Anton Piatek (3196) | asked Apr 08 '11, 11:36 a.m.
I was hoping to set a pile of ant properties so that any build can find them. It makes more sense to do this on the command line with ant's "-propertyfile" arg which tells and to read the file and set all the properties that are found within in.
It makes more sense because they are host/machine specific, and so they should be set on the command line rather than in a build engine definition.

I tried adding this to my JBE command line, but it looks like it is being ignored - Does the JBE launcher attempt to use this flag, or is it silently ignored?

I am using RTC 3.0

2 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Apr 10 '11, 11:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was hoping to set a pile of ant properties so that any build can find them. It makes more sense to do this on the command line with ant's "-propertyfile" arg which tells and to read the file and set all the properties that are found within in.
It makes more sense because they are host/machine specific, and so they should be set on the command line rather than in a build engine definition.

I tried adding this to my JBE command line, but it looks like it is being ignored - Does the JBE launcher attempt to use this flag, or is it silently ignored?

I am using RTC 3.0

Hi,

You're right that the JBE ignores the -propertyfile flag. Internally, the Ant build participant uses the -propertyfile flag to make available all the properties that have been defined internally (jbe built-in properties) or via user definition (build definition properties/build engine properties). I know you mentioned that your properties are host/machine specific, but aren't you defining a build engine for each host/machine where these properties could be added?

Brent Ulbricht
Developer/Lead - RTC Build

permanent link
Anton Piatek (3196) | answered Apr 11 '11, 3:13 a.m.

You're right that the JBE ignores the -propertyfile flag. Internally, the Ant build participant uses the -propertyfile flag to make available all the properties that have been defined internally (jbe built-in properties) or via user definition (build definition properties/build engine properties). I know you mentioned that your properties are host/machine specific, but aren't you defining a build engine for each host/machine where these properties could be added?

Yes, I could set the properties on the build definition, but some contain passwords which would be better slightly obscured
There are advantages to using -propertyfile - if I add a new or replacement build engine I can simply copy one file, instead of having to redefine many properties. This is the main reason I wanted to use it this way.

For now I am using a workaround of defining the path to that file on the build engine and requiring the build.xml for each build to explicitly load that file.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.