It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question on restricting work item access by Team Area

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Apr 08 '11, 3:03 a.m.
Hi,

I created a simple example where I defined 2 categories (New Development and Maintenance). I also have 2 Team Areas with the same names. So now category New Development is associated with the New Development team area and likewise with Maintenance. I unchecked the box for each category on the Categories tab so they would only be visible to the team.

I created a user and assigned them to the Maintenance team area. I logged in with that user and tried to access a work item under New Development and it let me.

I assumed since the user is only part of the Maintenance team that they wouldn't be able to access the New Development work items.

What am I missing here?

4 answers

permanent link
Parker Dunton (4064) | answered Apr 08 '11, 2:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michael,

It sounds like you are using the Eclipse client? In that case the checkboxes you are referring to only affect the visibility of the category, not the work items assigned to that category. Restricting access of a work item category to only members of a team area (and any of its sub-teams) is an option in the Beta 3 version of RTC, if that is what you are using?

If so, in the Eclipse client right clicking on a category will give you the option to restrict work item access.

If not, finer grained control of work item access, based on team area membership, is coming in the June 3.0.1 release.

Parker Dunton
Jazz Foundation - Process Team

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Apr 08 '11, 3:58 p.m.
Parker,

Thanks for the response. I am using the Beta 3 version. I have the Unassigned Root Category first, and as children to that category I have New Development and Maintenance.

Both the Team Visibility and Team Access checkboxes are checked for the categories.

When I logon with my test id the Visibility seems to work as I can't see the New Development category. But with the same id I can access a work item set to New Development.

Change and Configuration Management - Core Libraries 3.0.1 Beta 3 RTC-I20110325-1047
Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries 3.0.1 Beta 3 RJF-I20110325-0805

permanent link
Parker Dunton (4064) | answered Apr 11 '11, 12:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Michael,

What Repository Permissions does your test user have? Do they have JazzAdmins permissions? If so they will ignore the 'Team Access Only' restriction.

--Parker

permanent link
Michael Walker (99215201157) | answered Apr 12 '11, 1:20 p.m.
Michael,

What Repository Permissions does your test user have? Do they have JazzAdmins permissions? If so they will ignore the 'Team Access Only' restriction.

--Parker

That was it thanks. When I removed the Admin access they couldn't see the work items.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.