It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

iterations, timezones, and burndowns

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Mar 27 '11, 1:06 p.m.
I had a couple questions recently around how RTC calculates things.

For example, is the Date/Time for an iteration start/end based on the timezone of the server or the user? If I look at an iteration, for example, it says it starts Mar 21st 8AM and ends April 1st 11PM. My Server is in England and I happen to be in North Carolina. Is that 6pm England/server time or 6pm NC/user time?

Then if I look at my user configuration, I work 8hours per day M-F ending at 5pm. I have looked and I am allocated 100% to a specific team/timeline.

Looking at the Team Dashboard and the Team Load, it says I am 100% allocated and it properly shows 40 hours available.

However, this is also Sunday 1pm ET and 6pm in England. So tomorrow, if I check it at 5pm England time, will it tell me that I have 32 hours left (40 hours in the week less 1 England-day) or 37 hours (since 5pm England time will be noon in the ETzone, I would have 5 more hours in my day, having expended 3 hours)??

Susan

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 04 '11, 12:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Susan,

The end time of an iteration is displayed in the user's timezone. If I set an iteration end time to 8AM Pacific, Johannes will see the iteration end time as 5PM.

Thanks,

Ralph

For example, is the Date/Time for an iteration start/end based on the timezone of the server or the user? If I look at an iteration, for example, it says it starts Mar 21st 8AM and ends April 1st 11PM. My Server is in England and I happen to be in North Carolina. Is that 6pm England/server time or 6pm NC/user time?

Then if I look at my user configuration, I work 8hours per day M-F ending at 5pm. I have looked and I am allocated 100% to a specific team/timeline.

Looking at the Team Dashboard and the Team Load, it says I am 100% allocated and it properly shows 40 hours available.

However, this is also Sunday 1pm ET and 6pm in England. So tomorrow, if I check it at 5pm England time, will it tell me that I have 32 hours left (40 hours in the week less 1 England-day) or 37 hours (since 5pm England time will be noon in the ETzone, I would have 5 more hours in my day, having expended 3 hours)??

Susan

permanent link
Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | answered Apr 04 '11, 1:17 p.m.
But when i set the "end of an iteration", the TimeZone is not included in the UI to set. I can only set date and time. So is the Time set relative to the Server? so I am in ET, if I create an iteration and say 5pm, does that mean 5pm MY time or 5pm the SERVER time?

Susan

Hi Susan,

The end time of an iteration is displayed in the user's timezone. If I set an iteration end time to 8AM Pacific, Johannes will see the iteration end time as 5PM.

Thanks,

Ralph

Susan

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 04 '11, 1:30 p.m.
Susan,

I got that information from development. Since the client picks up other local stuff from the regional settings, I assume it is using your machine settings.

Ralph

But when i set the "end of an iteration", the TimeZone is not included in the UI to set. I can only set date and time. So is the Time set relative to the Server? so I am in ET, if I create an iteration and say 5pm, does that mean 5pm MY time or 5pm the SERVER time?

Susan

Hi Susan,

Thanks,

Ralph

Susan

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Apr 05 '11, 4:59 p.m.

It's based on your local machine time. So you should set the iteration start and end time to whatever is appropriate for your local machine. The time will be adjusted as appropriate when viewed by people in other timezones.

- Jared

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.