It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Performing code review of tasks spanning several change sets

Anders Truelsen (16212020) | asked Mar 25 '11, 4:41 a.m.
retagged Aug 05 '16, 4:50 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)
Hi

How do I get a consolidated view of the changes made in relation to a task or story when these are distributed against change sets?

Opening the change sets one by one in the change explorer gives me all changes in an exploded view, where I really just need a list of changes files and the option to compare the before and after versions.

regards
/anders

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Aug 02 '16, 6:44 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC 4.0.1 we added a new view called the "Change Summary" view which is designed to handle a selection of change sets and show the user the aggregate of the changes (i.e the 'net effect' of those changes, mostly by comparing the first start state and final end state). In some cases, a selection of change sets may have an "Open With" --> "Change Summary" context menu action, otherwise the default open action may be the Change Summary view instead of the Change Explorer view (which is the case with change sets attached to work items)

The following blog post shows how to code review multiple change sets using the Change Summary view: Reviewing Code Changes with RTC

In RTC 6.0.1 a Code Review feature was added. This feature also supports reviewing multiple change sets, and offers a comparison of each file which aggregates the changes (shows the 'net effect').
See the following links on Code Review:
RTC 6.0.1 New & Noteworthy - Code Review
Using Code Review, Part 1
Using Code Review, Part 2
Michael Valenta selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chidambaram L commented Nov 16 '18, 11:09 a.m.
Code review is required in Stabilization sprint only.
Release comprises of many Tasks and each Task has many Changeset. Same file may be modified spanning many changeset. How to get a consolidated view like the ones you are showing in 6.0.1.
Should I map all those Change Sets mapped for those Release to a new Review Task; and create a review request for this task ?

David Lafreniere commented Nov 19 '18, 9:56 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: All the general quality/code review documentation suggest that it is bad practice and error prone to conduct code reviews of such scale. This is why the out of the box RTC Code Review is work item-centric (giving the reviewer a smaller set of code to review (ideally), and a better context of what defect/enhancement they are reviewing). To do what you are asking however, If you were to compare the 2 releases (snapshots) then you could get a list of 'all' the change sets that went into the newer release in the Change Summary view in Eclipse, you could go through the file changes there for the Code Review, or you could try attaching them all to a work item to have them show up in the web based Code Review tool (no guarantee on how well that user experience would be, as it was never tested to that scale).

2 other answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Mar 25 '11, 10:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 02 '16, 6:33 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Assuming you're looking at the change sets from the work item, multi-select the change sets and open them. The Change Explorer will show all changes in the file view or group them by change set if you switch to change set view.

Multi-select also applies to change sets in Pending Changes if you want to open them in Change Explorer from there.

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Aug 05 '16, 4:49 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.