It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Linking requirements in a snapshot in RRC to stories in RTC

Nils Palsson (1621) | asked Mar 24 '11, 8:16 a.m.
The developers want to develop against a frozen version of the requirements.
I can link the iteration plan to a requirement collection in a snapshot, and I can link a requirement in a snapshot to a story, but when navigating from the story to the requirements the current, live version of the requirement is displayed.
Using RRC 2.0.0.3 and RTC 3.0
Any thoughts?

6 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Mar 24 '11, 9:05 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can achieve your desired scenario by doing the following: after following a link from the story in RTC to a requirement in RRC, go to the RRC sidebar and open the relevant collection, then apply the relevant snapshot, for example: "Release 2 iteration 3". At that point your RRC UI will show the right "frozen" versions of the requirements.

This extra step is necessary for now, because the OSLC specifications do not yet address the notion of versions of artifacts, and thus the tools interpret OLSC-style links as always pointing to the latest version of an artifact.

permanent link
Nils Palsson (1621) | answered Mar 24 '11, 10:40 a.m.
Is there any indication when this will be included in the OSLC specification?

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Mar 24 '11, 5:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is there any indication when this will be included in the OSLC specification?

Hi Nils,

I know this is not ideal, but another possible work around, is to open the RRC artifact history for each requirement and copy the link to that version of the artifact and paste it as link into an artifact document in RRC. Then link the document to the work item.

permanent link
George DeCandio (1112) | answered Mar 24 '11, 11:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe that versioned linking is one of the backlog items for the v3 specifications of OSLC, but I do not know how it is prioritized against other backlog items.

As others have stated, the CLM solution does not yet have true support for versioned linking. IMO, the best way to achieve what you desire is to keep separate collections and copies of the requirements for each version you need "frozen". You can use attributes and links on the requirements to relate the copies to each other so that you can identify and trace their lineage. Although copies are not ideal, they allow the type of linking and evolution that you desire.

Direct support in the tools for this scenario is a priority and I would expect improvements in future releases.

permanent link
Bjorn Baker (106) | answered Mar 25 '11, 7:18 a.m.
Overall it will be included soon because it's part of the stories. I mean the OSLC specification. Therefore RRC is the artifact of history.

permanent link
Guangyu Long (6) | answered Jul 29 '11, 4:34 a.m.
I can only find ways to create collection, but not snapshot or baseline.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.