It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading from RTC v3.0 Eclipse Client to RTC v3.0 iFix1

Gerry Cullen (4651) | asked Mar 23 '11, 8:13 a.m.
This is more a comment than a question, but I was hoping to save someone else a little time when applying the iFix as well as find answers to my questions at the end.

I've was trying to find an image I can use to "update" my existing RTC v3.0 Eclipse Client installation to RTC v3.0 iFix1. I first downloaded RTC-Web-Installer-Win-3.0iFix1.zip from the Jazz.net website (https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0iFix1) and extracted it to a folder. (Here is where my mistake begins - don't do this!) In the RTC Eclipse Client, I went to Windows -> Preferences -> Install/Update -> Available Software Sites and added the extracted directory as a repository. I was able to do a "Test Connection", which returned successfully. However, when I saved the new repository connection and went back and did a Help -> Check for Updates, I could see that the new repository was being interrogated, but the update returned "There is nothing to update".

Next, I tried the same thing with the RTC-Eclipse-Client-repo-3.0iFix1.zip download, which ended with the same result.

Looking at the release notes for RTC v3.0 iFix1 (https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0iFix1?p=releasenotes), all it says is "Instructions for installing/upgrading to Rational Team Concert 3.0 also apply to Rational Team Concert 3.0 iFix 1." Well, I had to uninstall my prior version of RTC (v2.0) in order to install RTC v3.0. To me, that seems to imply that I have to uninstall RTC v3.0 to install RTC v3.0 iFix1, which is not the case.

In order to get this to work, I had to use IBM Installation Manager and setup a new repository (File -> Preferences... -> Repositories) to the files I extracted from RTC-Eclipse-Client-repo-3.0iFix1.zip. Running Update from Installation Manager recognized the iFix and was able to apply it.

Just wondering:
- Why is it that the update from inside the RTC client recognizes the files in the iFix (Test Connection succeeds) but is not able to apply them ("There is nothing to update")?
- Why the documentation isn't more direct in stating how to apply the iFix?

As I mentioned at the start, I'm hoping this will help someone else in terms of trying to apply the iFix.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.