It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Exporting Task workitems and then importing them

Thomas Loeber (62237850) | asked Feb 25 '11, 7:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This may have been asked before, but I haven't been able to find the an answer in this forum.
Scenario is RTC 3.0 with DB2 database and one project (Proj1) in production using the scrum template as its process. This project has a "Core" team and a Core Team timeline. release plan, one iteration plan and 12 iterations. They are creating task work items.

In parallel with this there is a pilot project which is also RTC 3.0 and based on this same scrum template. This project is making extensive changes to the Defect work item type to support a CQ migration. The them changes are complete, this template will be extracted from this pilot project and imported to the product server as a new template. A production project (Proj2) will them be created using this new template and eventually CQ migration will be executed.

My question is what is the best supported way to move/copy those task wotkitems from Proj1 to Proj2?

7 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 25 '11, 9:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Thomas,

the simplest way to export and import, I think, would be using CSV export and import. You would loose the history. Work item links might be an issue if the link target does not exist, but I think it is generally supported. To preserve the links you might have to run the import twice.

There is also a way to move a work item into another project, but I believe that only moves one work item at a time - at least the last time I was trying.

Ralph

This may have been asked before, but I haven't been able to find the an answer in this forum.
Scenario is RTC 3.0 with DB2 database and one project (Proj1) in production using the scrum template as its process. This project has a "Core" team and a Core Team timeline. release plan, one iteration plan and 12 iterations. They are creating task work items.

In parallel with this there is a pilot project which is also RTC 3.0 and based on this same scrum template. This project is making extensive changes to the Defect work item type to support a CQ migration. The them changes are complete, this template will be extracted from this pilot project and imported to the product server as a new template. A production project (Proj2) will them be created using this new template and eventually CQ migration will be executed.

My question is what is the best supported way to move/copy those task wotkitems from Proj1 to Proj2?

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Apr 20 '11, 6:01 a.m.
Hello,

we tried this, but the csv expert/import is very cumbersom. As the new formal template is completly different, the mapping has to be recreated completly new. After a firs attempt, apport of the history we lost all the links, attachments and the many workflow statuses were not migrated correctly.

I still don't understand why there is still no bulk move/copy option!

Regards,
Alexander

Hi Thomas,

the simplest way to export and import, I think, would be using CSV export and import. You would loose the history. Work item links might be an issue if the link target does not exist, but I think it is generally supported. To preserve the links you might have to run the import twice.

There is also a way to move a work item into another project, but I believe that only moves one work item at a time - at least the last time I was trying.

Ralph

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 21 '11, 8:31 a.m.
Hi,

I typically do an export of work items of the target project first and create an initial mapping file.

Using CSV you should consider playing with the delimiter, especially for links, where multiple values are provided for columns.

Any mass import would still require some mapping so the issue would remain, I think, but you might want to consider writing a work item.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hello,

we tried this, but the csv expert/import is very cumbersom. As the new formal template is completly different, the mapping has to be recreated completly new. After a firs attempt, apport of the history we lost all the links, attachments and the many workflow statuses were not migrated correctly.

I still don't understand why there is still no bulk move/copy option!

Regards,
Alexander

Hi Thomas,

Ralph

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Apr 27 '11, 8:52 a.m.
as a mentioned before CSV export/import is not very stable and badly documented according to our experience. Even though that the mapping rule exists, it would ignore the some attributes partially or even completely (in our case for example we had this problem with statuses and resolutions, links and comments). Also some statuses we migrated but their workflow were not initiated.
Generally it is impossible to migrate custom attributes, attachments and the history.

Also it is practically possible to correct an faulty import (this would require a manual remapping of all the migrated WI ids).

Generally our experience shows that it takes more time to get the mapping file right then to migrate hundreds of workitems manually.

Therefore I opt to implement the common mass copy/move feature properly. This is especially necessary because it is not possible in RTC 3 to add the new Formal Planning features to existing project areas from version 2.

permanent link
Alexander Schinko (35511812) | answered Apr 27 '11, 12:15 p.m.
Btw. the plugin https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas doesn't work anymore in version 3.

permanent link
Patrick LiƩtar (162) | answered Apr 29 '11, 5:06 a.m.
Btw. the plugin https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas doesn't work anymore in version 3.

reference:
Support Bulk move plugin in RTC 3.0:
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=163729

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 29 '11, 4:55 p.m.
Hi,

if your experience is that bad it would be essential to feed back your experience back to development and get a solution - if possible. So file a work item, please. Every migration tooling would require a mapping different processes. So any easy solution will only work on identical basic process information. They won't solve the basic issue to get mass data inported unless the process is almost identical.

Just my thoughts on this.

Ralph

as a mentioned before CSV export/import is not very stable and badly documented according to our experience. Even though that the mapping rule exists, it would ignore the some attributes partially or even completely (in our case for example we had this problem with statuses and resolutions, links and comments). Also some statuses we migrated but their workflow were not initiated.
Generally it is impossible to migrate custom attributes, attachments and the history.

Also it is practically possible to correct an faulty import (this would require a manual remapping of all the migrated WI ids).

Generally our experience shows that it takes more time to get the mapping file right then to migrate hundreds of workitems manually.

Therefore I opt to implement the common mass copy/move feature properly. This is especially necessary because it is not possible in RTC 3 to add the new Formal Planning features to existing project areas from version 2.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.