It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing RTC3 on Linux, but need to load RTC 2 Windows DB

Kevin Crocker (20185) | asked Feb 21 '11, 1:38 p.m.
The RTC 2 server that served as my initial pilot project and worked nicely last year, is currently on a Windows 2003 Server running Derby inside my company's VPN/Firewall without outside access.

My new project needs to be a bit more public, so I've decided to install RTC 3 using DB2 on a Linux server in the Amazon EC2 Cloud.

I am wondering how to get the old RTC 2 database migrated over to the new RTC 3 DB2 instance.

Suggestions welcome.

==================================
Kevin Crocker
Perficient, Inc., IBM ATS/ Education Practice Manager
IBM Certified WebSphere, Lotus, and Rational Instructor
ISSW, ISSL, and ISSR Contractor

9 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 21 '11, 2:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RTC 2 server that served as my initial pilot project and worked nicely last year, is currently on a Windows 2003 Server running Derby inside my company's VPN/Firewall without outside access.

My new project needs to be a bit more public, so I've decided to install RTC 3 using DB2 on a Linux server in the Amazon EC2 Cloud.

I am wondering how to get the old RTC 2 database migrated over to the new RTC 3 DB2 instance.

Suggestions welcome.

Kevin Crocker
Perficient, Inc., IBM ATS/ Education Practice Manager
IBM Certified WebSphere, Lotus, and Rational Instructor
ISSW, ISSL, and ISSR Contractor

Hi Kevin

You will need to both upgrade the repository to v3, and migrate to a new database type. There should be instructions on this in the Help - try here first:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_upgrade_overview.html

regards

anthony

permanent link
Kevin Crocker (20185) | answered Feb 21 '11, 2:09 p.m.
Hi Kevin

You will need to both upgrade the repository to v3, and migrate to a new database type. There should be instructions on this in the Help - try here first:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/c_upgrade_overview.html

regards

anthony

Anthony - thanks for the tips - but how can I do that when I'm working on two different machines. One (hosting RTC2) is inside my company firewall and I can't upgrade it - it only has 1Gb of ram, and I can't install DB2. The other machine is going to be in the Amazon EC2 cloud.

Kevin

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 21 '11, 2:29 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kevin

regards

anthony

Anthony - thanks for the tips - but how can I do that when I'm working on two different machines. One (hosting RTC2) is inside my company firewall and I can't upgrade it - it only has 1Gb of ram, and I can't install DB2. The other machine is going to be in the Amazon EC2 cloud.

Kevin

These are not step-by-step instructions (typing this from memory) so you do need to check for the exact steps in case I have missed anything.

OK - so first part is to shut down RTC2 and export your repository from your RTC2 machine - using repotools -export ToFile=<name>.tar. You will also need other files like your teamserver.properties files, and tomcat-users.xml.

There may be shortcuts for the next step - but I would then install RTC2 and DB2 on the new server as though this was a new installation. Then you use the settings from the older server to update the relevant sections (keeping the ones that now refer to DB2) and use the tomcat-user.xml file from the old server so you have the correct users on the server.

Check the server works at this point.

Then you should be able to do a repotools import of the .tar file and you have a working RTC2 instance on DB2.

Now you can follow the upgrade instructions.

You may be able to go straight to RTC3 on the new server - this is not something I have tried.

One more thing - you can keep the /jazz context for your server, or use the new /ccm context. I would consider going to the new /ccm context - it will make life easier in the long run (but be aware your Eclipse/MSVS workspace settings need fixing - again - this should all be documented in the Help)

regards

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 21 '11, 2:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
BTW - shouldn't you be on relaxing and enjoying the US "Presidents Day" holiday today?? :-)

permanent link
Kevin Crocker (20185) | answered Feb 21 '11, 2:33 p.m.
Hi Kevin

regards

anthony

Kevin

These are not step-by-step instructions (typing this from memory) so you do need to check for the exact steps in case I have missed anything.

OK - so first part is to shut down RTC2 and export your repository from your RTC2 machine - using repotools -export ToFile=<name>.tar. You will also need other files like your teamserver.properties files, and tomcat-users.xml.

There may be shortcuts for the next step - but I would then install RTC2 and DB2 on the new server as though this was a new installation. Then you use the settings from the older server to update the relevant sections (keeping the ones that now refer to DB2) and use the tomcat-user.xml file from the old server so you have the correct users on the server.

Check the server works at this point.

Then you should be able to do a repotools import of the .tar file and you have a working RTC2 instance on DB2.

Now you can follow the upgrade instructions.

You may be able to go straight to RTC3 on the new server - this is not something I have tried.

One more thing - you can keep the /jazz context for your server, or use the new /ccm context. I would consider going to the new /ccm context - it will make life easier in the long run (but be aware your Eclipse/MSVS workspace settings need fixing - again - this should all be documented in the Help)

regards

anthony

Anthony - thanks. The only part of the old RTC 2 install I need is the project. I don't need the users as this new install will be a completely different set of users. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Kevin

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 21 '11, 3:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Anthony - thanks. The only part of the old RTC 2 install I need is the project. I don't need the users as this new install will be a completely different set of users. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Kevin

Be careful - you must copy the tomcat-users file across too - otherwise all references to these users will be broken. You can always archive users you no longer need.

anthony

p.s Shouldn't you be relaxing and enjoying the President's Day holiday today? :-)

permanent link
Kevin Crocker (20185) | answered Feb 21 '11, 4:46 p.m.

Kevin

Be careful - you must copy the tomcat-users file across too - otherwise all references to these users will be broken. You can always archive users you no longer need.

anthony

p.s Shouldn't you be relaxing and enjoying the President's Day holiday today? :-)

Thanks again.

I'd love to relax, but President's Day isn't an official holiday.

Kevin

permanent link
Simon Tong (1653) | answered Mar 28 '11, 6:59 a.m.
Hi

Have you performed the operation and did it work ? or did you bump into unexpected error ?

Rgds

Kevin

anthony

Thanks again.

Kevin

permanent link
Kevin Crocker (20185) | answered Mar 28 '11, 8:22 a.m.
Unfortunately I was called out to a client site and haven't had a chance to perform the upgrade. It's on my list ASAP I get back.

Hi

Have you performed the operation and did it work ? or did you bump into unexpected error ?

Rgds

Kevin

anthony

Thanks again.

Kevin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.