It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing requirements exported from CaliberRM

Jonathan Belanger (3652) | asked Feb 21 '11, 11:49 a.m.
I have a document that is an exported of a set of requirements out of CaliberRM. This first line contains the field names and subsequent lines contain the requirement data. The description field in CaliberRM is exported out a HTML formatted data. How do I get this imported into the description field in RTC and maintain the formatting. Also, CaliberRM can only export out 1024 characters per line, a continuation line starts with a tab character, how can I get the RTC import to understand this as well.

Thanks,

Jon.

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 21 '11, 12:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a document that is an exported of a set of requirements out of CaliberRM. This first line contains the field names and subsequent lines contain the requirement data. The description field in CaliberRM is exported out a HTML formatted data. How do I get this imported into the description field in RTC and maintain the formatting. Also, CaliberRM can only export out 1024 characters per line, a continuation line starts with a tab character, how can I get the RTC import to understand this as well.

Thanks,

Jon.

Hi Jon

Are you using the File->Import->Team->CSV option? From your description, this might be the best way to import all the data.

You will need to convert your Caliber data into CSV format - and during that to deal with the tab continuation marks. You can use a comma as the field separation mark - this is an option on the import dialogue - and this might help during the import.

I would also recommend you try this out on a test server (Derby/Tomcat) before you import to your real server (in case there are any data problems).

regards

anthony

permanent link
Jonathan Belanger (3652) | answered Feb 24 '11, 9:54 a.m.
Hi Anthony,

Are you using the File->Import->Team->CSV option? From your description, this might be the best way to import all the data.

You will need to convert your Caliber data into CSV format - and during that to deal with the tab continuation marks. You can use a comma as the field separation mark - this is an option on the import dialogue - and this might help during the import.

I would also recommend you try this out on a test server (Derby/Tomcat) before you import to your real server (in case there are any data problems).

I have a couple of exports of the CaliberRM data, one is in MS Access and the other is a CSV formatted text file.

One of the problems I am having is that the description information in CaliberRM is HTML encoded and also contains embedded images. I would like to get the description formatting information over, if possible. Also, there are linkages within the data (from one requirement to another, that I'd also like to maintain, if possible. At this point, the HTML encoding is the biggest obstacle, so I'd like to get the resolved as soon as possible. I find it unfortunate that RTC does not seem to support HTML encoding of the Description field.

~Jon.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Feb 24 '11, 6:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

I have a couple of exports of the CaliberRM data, one is in MS Access and the other is a CSV formatted text file.

One of the problems I am having is that the description information in CaliberRM is HTML encoded and also contains embedded images. I would like to get the description formatting information over, if possible. Also, there are linkages within the data (from one requirement to another, that I'd also like to maintain, if possible. At this point, the HTML encoding is the biggest obstacle, so I'd like to get the resolved as soon as possible. I find it unfortunate that RTC does not seem to support HTML encoding of the Description field.

~Jon.

OK - so it would be great if you could raise a work item (enhancement) to ask for HTML support for the description field. If you have not done this before - go to

http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

(and change the type to enhancement).

regards
anthony

permanent link
Jonathan Belanger (3652) | answered Mar 09 '11, 4:21 p.m.
OK, I have another question.

I noticed that the Description field is defined as a LargeHTML type. How can I enter HTML encoded data into this field. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 17 '11, 6:38 p.m.
OK, I have another question.

I noticed that the Description field is defined as a LargeHTML type. How can I enter HTML encoded data into this field. Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks!

I am also interested in the supported HTML tags in the HTML attributed fields.
I added a page to our workitem, defined a LargeHTML field, inject a properly formatted html table, and get one line, wrapped, with no formatting..
to do multiple rows I have to use <br>.. html table is supposed to do all that.

HELP

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.