It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to store a password for a script?

John Wang (1011612) | asked Feb 15 '11, 8:21 a.m.
I have a script that requires userid and password to execute. What is the best way to store and retrieve it in BF?

3 answers

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Feb 17 '11, 1:54 p.m.
I have a script that requires userid and password to execute. What is the best way to store and retrieve it in BF?

You could store the userid as a normal variable and the password as a hidden variable.

To set a hidden variable you must select the "Assign Hidden" option in the Action dropdown list

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Feb 17 '11, 1:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi John,

When I have a script to run that requires a password, I typically create an environment variable with the 'Action' set to 'Assign Hidden' and 'On Project' set to 'Suppress Display'.

You job log will have a few statements indicating that a hidden variable was detected and prevent it from being displayed in the Build Forge logs.

201	02/17/11 07:00AM	EXEC	 Performing variable expansion on command line

202 02/17/11 07:00AM EXEC Variable expansion skipped: Hidden Variable (SCRIPT_PASSWORD) detected

Brent Ulbricht
Developer/Lead - RTC Build

permanent link
John Wang (1011612) | answered Feb 23 '11, 1:16 p.m.
Thanks guys. .This works fine.. I will try to use this technique to store passwords.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.