It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tree view for requirements folders

Andrei Kirshin (3642) | asked Feb 10 '11, 8:29 a.m.
I'm using RRC 3.0 M12. When I press 'Drill Down', I still see all requirements as a table having an option to expand a requirements and see the linked artefacts.
For example:
R1

+ Parent Of
R1.1
R1.2
R1.1
R1.2

(which looks like a feature and not bug)

BUT, is it possible/planned for future releases to show the requirements in a tree view?
This is the way I would usually prefer to see the requirements:
R1

+ R1.1
+ R1.2

It is similar to the RQM Test Plans View: it has 3 options - table tree, explorer. The tree view is quite convenient way to work on hierarchical artefacts.

Thanks,
~Andrei

2 answers

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Feb 14 '11, 9:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is something we are looking into and working on for a future release. Is your main concern with the current implementation that it lists the "Parent Of" link type as an intermediate node, or that R1.1 and R1.2 are listed twice... once as a child of R1 and once as a top-level item?

The "Parent Of" label is hard to avoid, because we have many link types you may wish to show in a tree view (and you can show multiple link types), so we have to label them. (Unless we had a special view where you were *only* showing parent/child relationships).

For the 2nd issue, you can get the view you want today *if* R1 and R1.1, R1.2 are different artifact types. You would use the filter sidebar to the left of the artifact list to only show the type that R1 is. However, we realize this isn't always the case so we are looking at ways to do this even if they are the same type of artifacts. For example, we could have an option that said "don't show artifacts at the top level if they are shown as children of another artifact".

I hope this helps. And please feel free to provide your further input... we would appreciate it.

permanent link
Andrei Kirshin (3642) | answered Feb 14 '11, 10:34 a.m.
This is something we are looking into and working on for a future release.

I'm glad to hear this! What do you mean by future release? Future milestone of 3.0 or further? I looked for it in the plans and din't find any work item that talks about it.

Is your main concern with the current implementation that it lists the "Parent Of" link type as an intermediate node, or that R1.1 and R1.2 are listed twice... once as a child of R1 and once as a top-level item?

My main concern is that R1.1 and R1.2 are listed twice. But generally I would like to have an option to "show artifacts hierarchically according to a specific link type". Mainly I would like to do this according to the decomposition link.

Actually it involves calculation of top-level artifacts (ones that have no incoming links). What if such artifacts do not exist? Or in other words, what if there are circles? What if an artifact has several incoming links of the same type? (it will appear several times in the hierarchy, which looks fine for me)

That's why it makes sense to show the hierarchy according to a specific link type, especially (and probably only) decomposition, where we can assume that cycles do not exist and there is at least one top-level artifact. And in this case we do not need the intermediate node (link type).

The "Parent Of" label is hard to avoid, because we have many link types you may wish to show in a tree view (and you can show multiple link types), so we have to label them. (Unless we had a special view where you were *only* showing parent/child relationships).

Agree.

For the 2nd issue, you can get the view you want today *if* R1 and R1.1, R1.2 are different artifact types. You would use the filter sidebar to the left of the artifact list to only show the type that R1 is. However, we realize this isn't always the case so we are looking at ways to do this even if they are the same type of artifacts. For example, we could have an option that said "don't show artifacts at the top level if they are shown as children of another artifact".

Sounds good.

I hope this helps. And please feel free to provide your further input... we would appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.