It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAM 7.5.0.1 and RTC 3.0

Davyd Norris (20221014) | asked Feb 07 '11, 3:53 p.m.
Hi all,

I've hit a hurdle with the latest RAM 7.5.0.1 build. The Release notes say it supports RTC 3.0 but when I try to point RAM to my RTC 3.0 server during set up it says it doesn't recognise the version of the server and only works with version 2.0.

The fact it knows the version means it's connected correctly and got back initial information, but that's as far as I get.

Do I have to set up RAM lifecycle integration in RTC 3.0 some other way?

Thanks in advance!

5 answers

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Feb 07 '11, 6:38 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
On 2/7/2011 4:08 PM, daffy wrote:
Hi all,

I've hit a hurdle with the latest RAM 7.5.0.1 build. The Release notes
say it supports RTC 3.0 but when I try to point RAM to my RTC 3.0
server during set up it says it doesn't recognise the version of the
server and only works with version 2.0.

The fact it knows the version means it's connected correctly and got
back initial information, but that's as far as I get.

Do I have to set up RAM lifecycle integration in RTC 3.0 some other
way?

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't support RTC 3.0 for the internal RTC server, i.e lifecycle

stuff. It supports it for linking remote work items and from within the
Eclipse client.

It should of been more explicit about this.
--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
Richard Irving (1611) | answered Feb 07 '11, 8:20 p.m.
Hi Davyd,
I just got past this a little earlier today...

As Rich replied, it supports RTC v3.0 but NOT for the lifecycle support (which is mostly what the install wizard(s) are referring to when they ask for config info on RTC). RTC v3.0 is supported for linking assets to work items.

During installation, it will ask you if you need an RTC server or if there's one existing... let it give you an RTC server which will deploy RTC as an app to the local server where RAM is deployed (assuming you're using embedded WAS for example). From there the you can configure RTC to handle lifecycle features for RAM. After RAM is up and running, you can install your RTC v3.0 server and make any other necessary configuration for linking assets to work items, SCM or any other tasks you need RTC v3.0 for.

Hope this helps...

Richard.

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered Feb 08 '11, 2:32 a.m.
Hi Davyd,

As Rich replied, it supports RTC v3.0 but NOT for the lifecycle support (which is mostly what the install wizard(s) are referring to when they ask for config info on RTC). RTC v3.0 is supported for linking assets to work items.

During installation, it will ask you if you need an RTC server or if there's one existing... let it give you an RTC server which will deploy RTC as an app to the local server where RAM is deployed (assuming you're using embedded WAS for example). From there the you can configure RTC to handle lifecycle features for RAM. After RAM is up and running, you can install your RTC v3.0 server and make any other necessary configuration for linking assets to work items, SCM or any other tasks you need RTC v3.0 for.

Hope this helps...

Richard.

Thanks for the responses all.

I'm setting up an end to end Proof of Concept for a client involving RSA 8.0.2, RTC 3.0, RAM 7.5.0.1 and BuildForge 7.1.2.1. One of the things they were looking at was the ability to track reviews and information about RAM assets via viewlets on the RTC project dashboard.

Does the inability to use RTC 3.0 for the lifecycle project mean I can't get this to work? RTC 3.0 is a required component for them and is potentially replacing several other similar tools from other vendors.

Any time line on when RAM 7.5.x will support RTC 3.0 for the lifecycle part?

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Feb 08 '11, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

RAM itself provides viewlets that can be shown on an RTC 3.0 dashboard.
You don't need to go to the internal RTC. The internal RTC is just that,
internal use by RAM. It has only portions of information about an asset.
RAM itself has the full story.

I don't know if the given OpenSocial widgets meet your needs. If there
is something that can be generalized to many users we would be
interested in knowing so that we can expand the available selection.

The Open Social widgets available are listed on the Extensions page in RAM.

You can look in the RAM Help for OpenSocial (one word).

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

permanent link
Richard Irving (1611) | answered Feb 08 '11, 9:53 a.m.
Hi Davyd,

Hope this helps...

Richard.

Thanks for the responses all.

I'm setting up an end to end Proof of Concept for a client involving RSA 8.0.2, RTC 3.0, RAM 7.5.0.1 and BuildForge 7.1.2.1. One of the things they were looking at was the ability to track reviews and information about RAM assets via viewlets on the RTC project dashboard.

Does the inability to use RTC 3.0 for the lifecycle project mean I can't get this to work? RTC 3.0 is a required component for them and is potentially replacing several other similar tools from other vendors.

Any time line on when RAM 7.5.x will support RTC 3.0 for the lifecycle part?

Hmmm... well, lifecycles aren't required, they provide workflow for managing assets. If you let RAM install RTC 2.0.0.2 for you and configure the internal RTC instance it as per the install guide, you'll have the ability right away to use and create lifecycles. Heres a great vid on lifecycles just to be clear on what they are.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/lp/demos/summary/r-rassetmanagerlife.html

Separately, "tracking assets" could mean you have work items in RTC directly related to some assets in RAM and you want some kind of association between the workitem and the asset. If that's true, then you might consider adding cross-server links, so that RAM and RTC will let you create the desired links.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ramhelp/v7r5m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.ram.web.doc/topics/t_opensocial_friendserver_jazz.html

Then you can create links between artifacts and work items
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ramhelp/v7r5m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.ram.web.doc/topics/t_describe_link_to_jazz.html

Hope this helps...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.