It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

using RFT automated scripts - some questions

Robert Ducharme (93128) | asked Jan 25 '11, 3:38 p.m.
I have an automated script I imported into RQM from another machine (#1) that uses datapools. RQM is 2.0.1.1 and RFT is 8.2

I have set it up so the called script can look for an argument and select an appropriate datapool variable based on what was passed in.
    How can I see in the log that it received the variable. I see in the Adapter that if I put the parameter in the script's script arguments, it shows the script name with the argument after it. If I put it in Execution Arguments, it does not show. What is the Execution Arguments in a script?

This script is called by 2 test cases that need to pass in a different argument based on the test case. However, I only see the "parameter" as part of the script, not the test case. How do I set up the data for a test case to pass data to the executed script?

I also have a manual script with the same name in the testcase. When starting the TER (by clicking the run arrow), I have to select the automated one. Is there a way to set it up so it filters and just shows either the automated or the manual in the execution. Or do I need to do something with the build environment?

I changed the datapool data so it uses an incorrect login. No matter what was passed in. The results never showed a failure. What is happening?

Since this is using datapools, does it capture that and copy it over? Thereby sending back a valid datapool?

4 answers

permanent link
Robert Ducharme (93128) | answered Jan 25 '11, 3:53 p.m.
The script arguments are passed into the script while the execution arguments are passed to the JVM to run the script. That is one question down.

I have an automated script I imported into RQM from another machine (#1) that uses datapools. RQM is 2.0.1.1 and RFT is 8.2

I have set it up so the called script can look for an argument and select an appropriate datapool variable based on what was passed in.
    How can I see in the log that it received the variable. I see in the Adapter that if I put the parameter in the script's script arguments, it shows the script name with the argument after it. If I put it in Execution Arguments, it does not show. What is the Execution Arguments in a script?

This script is called by 2 test cases that need to pass in a different argument based on the test case. However, I only see the "parameter" as part of the script, not the test case. How do I set up the data for a test case to pass data to the executed script?

I also have a manual script with the same name in the testcase. When starting the TER (by clicking the run arrow), I have to select the automated one. Is there a way to set it up so it filters and just shows either the automated or the manual in the execution. Or do I need to do something with the build environment?

I changed the datapool data so it uses an incorrect login. No matter what was passed in. The results never showed a failure. What is happening?

Since this is using datapools, does it capture that and copy it over? Thereby sending back a valid datapool?

permanent link
Robert Ducharme (93128) | answered Jan 25 '11, 4:47 p.m.
Answer number 2 associated with the datapool. When the script was imported, it seems to be pulling in the datapool. If the datapool was correct when the script was imported, no matter what I change the DP to afterwords, the script executed from RQM always passes. If I re-import the script with an incorrect value in the DP, the script fails when parameter is set to use the incorrect value. This does not seem to be a good design. That means any change to the DP requires me to re-import and link all test scripts assoicated with the DP to the appropriate test cases.

permanent link
Robert Ducharme (93128) | answered Jan 25 '11, 5:01 p.m.
More confusion. What I just said below is not true. I ran another set of tests and this time it did use the changed datapool on the system without requiring a re-import. No clue what is really happening when I cannot get consistent results.

Answer number 2 associated with the datapool. When the script was imported, it seems to be pulling in the datapool. If the datapool was correct when the script was imported, no matter what I change the DP to afterwords, the script executed from RQM always passes. If I re-import the script with an incorrect value in the DP, the script fails when parameter is set to use the incorrect value. This does not seem to be a good design. That means any change to the DP requires me to re-import and link all test scripts assoicated with the DP to the appropriate test cases.

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Jan 26 '11, 10:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In terms of passing arguments from the test case to the script, this capability is being introduced in RQM 3.0 via a new concept termed execution variables. Here is the related enhancement request:

https://jazz.net/jazz02/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/31614

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.