It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

An error occurs while starting RTC 3 client on Mac

Mirek Rzadkowski (46285) | asked Jan 20 '11, 6:12 a.m.
My Eclipse dies on startup when launching RTC 3 client on Mac. It was starting fine without RTC installation.
I've tried half a dozen fresh installs of Eclipse adding RTC from P2repo, and tried downloaded RTC Client for Mac. I am consistently getting the same error on startup of RTC client on Mac:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-01-20 22:05:30.238
!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.ibm.team.repository.common (202).
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.start() of bundle com.ibm.team.repository.common.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:806)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:755)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:352)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:280)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:408)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:449)

and the stack trace is very long.
Has anyone seen it? or knows how to fix it?

3 answers

permanent link
David Boyer (812) | answered Jan 20 '11, 12:27 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My Eclipse dies on startup when launching RTC 3 client on Mac. It was starting fine without RTC installation.
I've tried half a dozen fresh installs of Eclipse adding RTC from P2repo, and tried downloaded RTC Client for Mac. I am consistently getting the same error on startup of RTC client on Mac:

!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.ibm.team.repository.common (202).
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.Activator.start() of bundle com.ibm.team.repository.common.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:806)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:755)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:352)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:280)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:449)

I use a MacBook Pro as my primary development machine. I'm successfully running it and have been for >6 months. I'll give versions that I'm running:

My Mac OS version is 10.6.6
Java 1.5 update 7
Eclipse 3.5.2
RTC v20101022_1725

It also runs successfully with Java 1.6 on my machine

The process I use to update is using the addons directory.

1. Try creating an RTC directory in the eclipse addons directory, and drop the features and plugin directories from the rtc client into that new directory.
2. What versions of Java, Eclipse, and Mac OS X are you using?
3. From the stracktrace you gave, something is failing to load (a bundle) but what the limited stacktrace you gave omits is WHAT is failing to load.

permanent link
Mirek Rzadkowski (46285) | answered Jan 22 '11, 2:30 a.m.

!STACK 0

I use a MacBook Pro as my primary development machine. I'm successfully running it and have been for >6 months. I'll give versions that I'm running:

My Mac OS version is 10.6.6
Java 1.5 update 7
Eclipse 3.5.2
RTC v20101022_1725

It also runs successfully with Java 1.6 on my machine

The process I use to update is using the addons directory.

1. Try creating an RTC directory in the eclipse addons directory, and drop the features and plugin directories from the rtc client into that new directory.
2. What versions of Java, Eclipse, and Mac OS X are you using?
3. From the stracktrace you gave, something is failing to load (a bundle) but what the limited stacktrace you gave omits is WHAT is failing to load.

1) I didn't have a problem running RTC 2 on this same Macbook before
2) Eclipse 3.6 by itself runs OK
3) The moment I add RTC 3 to Eclipse it will not start
4) The RTC 3 for Mac distribution installed separately will not start in the same way
5) I don't have this problem on another iMac

Wish I knew what's going on ... Clearly installing RTC 3 breaks my Eclipse. And RTC 3 will not run by itself either.

permanent link
Mirek Rzadkowski (46285) | answered Mar 13 '11, 9:09 p.m.
If you have log4j jar in /Library/Java/Extensions on Mac OS X, RTC 3 client install will clash with it and as a result Eclipse will not start at all. Log is generated into workspace's .metadata/.log.
If you remove the above jar, Eclipse (RTC 3 client) will start ok.
I consider it a bug. But at least this worked for me, so it's a temporary workaround.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.