It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Priority order reversed in Plan view?

Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | asked Jan 18 '11, 4:15 p.m.
closed Apr 11 '23, 12:30 p.m. by David Honey (1.8k17)
I have the Priority enumeration set up going from critical on top to minor on bottom. When in Plan view, however, priority of work items is in reverse order. If I drag a high priority item up in the list, it resets the priority to lower when I drop it at the top. This is backwards of other views (and logic). Any idea how to fix this? I've tried sorting by "Priority" and "Ranking" with no change. I don't see anyplace to set ascending/descending.

2.0.0.2 ifix5

The question has been closed for the following reason: "Problem is not reproducible or outdated" by davidhoney Apr 11 '23, 12:30 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Feb 23 '11, 12:51 p.m.
One of the dev folk helped me solve this one. Here's the solution if anyone else needs it:

1. Open the project.
2. Click on Process Configuration tab.
3. Go to Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Planning/Plan Mode Elements.
4. Under Sorting double-click on Priority.
5. You'll see a small popup. Click OK.
6. This caused new code to be added to Process Configuration Source. You'll notice the icon to the left of Priority now has a pencil on it, indicating it has been edited.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for Priority under Grouping.
8. Click SAVE.
9. Go to the Process Configuration Source tab.
10. Control-F and search for "planconf".
11. You will find a section of code that looks something like the below. Change "descending" to "ascending" in both sections (sortmode and groupmode).
12. Click SAVE.

That's it!

<configuration-data xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.apt.configuration/planConfigurationElement" id="com.ibm.team.apt.configuration.planConfigurationElement">
<sortmode description="Priority" id="com.ibm.team.apt.sortmode.priority" implementation="com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ui.sortmode.GenericPlanItemSorter" name="Priority">
<parameters>
<parameter key="attribute" value="com.ibm.team.apt.attribute.planitem.priority"/>
<parameter key="sortorder" value="descending"/>
</parameters>
</sortmode>
<groupmode description="Group work items by priority" id="com.ibm.team.apt.groupmode.priority" implementation="com.ibm.team.apt.internal.ui.structure.EnumerationGroupProvider" name="Priority">
<parameters>
<parameter key="attribute" value="com.ibm.team.apt.attribute.planitem.priority"/>
<parameter key="sortorder" value="descending"/>
</parameters>
</groupmode>
</configuration-data>
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

5 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jan 19 '11, 3:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I don't know a way to change the sort order in 2.x or 3.x I believe it is built in and aligned to how the priority enumeration is set up. In 3.x clicking on the column header you can change the order.

Having said that, your plan view should show high priority items on the top. If it does not and you haven't changed the priority attribute I'd suggest to create a work item against RTC in http://jazz.net/development/. I have rad a similar case here recently and maybe there is a bug.

Ralph

I have the Priority enumeration set up going from critical on top to minor on bottom. When in Plan view, however, priority of work items is in reverse order. If I drag a high priority item up in the list, it resets the priority to lower when I drop it at the top. This is backwards of other views (and logic). Any idea how to fix this? I've tried sorting by "Priority" and "Ranking" with no change. I don't see anyplace to set ascending/descending.

2.0.0.2 ifix5

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Feb 03 '11, 12:21 p.m.
I confirmed this as a bug with our RTC consultant and entered it into the system. Then "Sreedhar Rella" marked it "Invalid" and told me to enter the priorities in reverse order! I hope this isn't typical of how IBM handles bugs. Telling me to put Priority in backwards as a "solution" is ridiculous to begin with, but the fact that it would then make Priority show backwards in queries makes it not a suitable workaround, even if I was a backwards-thinking kinda guy.

What can I do to escalate this above Sreedhar Rella?

Feel free to add your comments to the "invalid" bug:

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/152119

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 03 '11, 6:08 p.m.
I've added a comment to that work item. Let's continue the discussion
there.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 2/3/2011 12:23 PM, mshkolnik wrote:
I confirmed this as a bug with our RTC consultant and entered it into
the system. Then "Sreedhar Rella" marked it
"Invalid" and told me to enter the priorities in reverse
order! I hope this isn't typical of how IBM handles bugs. Telling me
to put Priority in backwards as a "solution" is ridiculous
to begin with, but the fact that it would then make Priority show
backwards in queries makes it not a suitable workaround, even if I
was a backwards-thinking kinda guy.

What can I do to escalate this above Sreedhar Rella?

Feel free to add your comments to the "invalid" bug:

https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/152119

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Feb 23 '11, 1:00 p.m.
Hi Mike,

thanks for providing the solution!

Ralph

One of the dev folk helped me solve this one. Here's the solution if anyone else needs it:

1. Open the project.
2. Click on Process Configuration tab.
3. Go to Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Planning/Plan Mode Elements.
4. Under Sorting double-click on Priority.
5. You'll see a small popup. Click OK.
6. This caused new code to be added to Process Configuration Source. You'll notice the icon to the left of Priority now has a pencil on it, indicating it has been edited.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for Priority under Grouping.
8. Click SAVE.
9. Go to the Process Configuration Source tab.
10. Control-F and search for "planconf".
11. You will find a section of code that looks something like the below. Change "descending" to "ascending" in both sections (sortmode and groupmode).
12. Click SAVE.

That's it!

<configuration>
<sortmode>
<parameters>
<parameter>
<parameter>
</parameters>
</sortmode>
<groupmode>
<parameters>
<parameter>
<parameter>
</parameters>
</groupmode>
</configuration>

Comments
Dave Evans commented Apr 11 '23, 12:18 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

The XML solution above does work for me for when the plan is sorted by Priority. However, when I select "Ranking" as the sort option, and set "sort unranked items by" to "Priority", the order for priority is backwards. Do you know if there is something I can do to fix this without having to replace the Priority literal IDs on our thousands of work items?

Thanks!

David Honey commented Apr 11 '23, 12:30 p.m.

Please post your own question rather than comment on a 12+ year old post.

Dave Evans commented Apr 11 '23, 1:51 p.m.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Mar 11 '11, 6:03 p.m.
Well, I hit another snag on this. If I choose to sort in Ranking order, it forces the Priority backwards again. I tried going through the same routine of editing the plan mode element, but the Ranking sort mode only has one attribute and it's not SortOrder.