It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Track Build Item" type

Mike Johnson (28624221) | asked Jan 18 '11, 2:57 p.m.
I am a little sketchy on what this type is actually for. I've found a couple of different explanations:

On Jean-Michel's blog http://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2009/10/22/making-agile-real/, it describes it as something used to coordinate between different teams:
In our retrospectives we would often hear complaints about that other team. In order to avoid the blame game, and remove the friction between teams we added the Track Build Item and Adoption Item. These artifacts provide an explicit channel for cooperation on these two very important activities on our team. By making them explicit weve made it clear to the teams that succeeding and optimizing these two collaborative activities is a top priority.

In the RTC documentation under "Work Item Types," it is described as:
Typically created from a build result to track the fixes that are needed for a failed build

It also appears that the 3 states for this type are "In Progress," "Done," and "Abandoned."

Can someone from IBM describe how you use this work item type?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

4 answers

permanent link
Alex Schaffer (261) | answered Jan 28 '11, 8:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mike,
In Jazz Foundation, we use the track build work item type to track our integration (or product level) builds over a given time period. This helps different component teams coordinate on fixing build errors and test failures, and results in a stable build which satisfies each team's goals for the builds time frame.

There are two main practical uses for the Track Build item. First, when a build's status is red, the problem can be investigated and the cause posted in the Track Build item. This allows each team to see why the build is red, and to track the status of any fixes that are being prepared. Second, when a green build is presented as a possible candidate for a weekly build (or milestone build), each team is responsible for testing their component using the candidate build files. Approvals for the build are added for each Team Lead, and they (or a team member) must fetch the build and test their component on it, as well as any fixes or features they have delivered since the last build. If there are problems they can reject the build, and work within their team or with other components on fixes to be included in the next build, which will then be put forward for approval.

Comments
David Arnone commented Mar 04 '13, 6:00 p.m.

From the description of the definition, it implies that a Track Build WI is created when a build result event occurs, either pass of fail.  Is there a way to configure that in RTC?  I did not think so.

permanent link
Evan Leonard (4667) | answered Jul 21 '11, 11:24 p.m.
Hi Alex,

Would you mind also providing a description of how the Jazz teams use the "Adoption Item" type?

Thanks,
Evan

permanent link
Mickey Roash (9021616) | answered Jan 04 '12, 3:46 a.m.
Hi ,

I their a way to run few different external compare editor,
each one for different file type or file extension ?

I am using RTC 3.0.1 .

Thanks,
Mickey

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jan 04 '12, 1:23 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, this is not currently supported.
It is requested in work item 96472. Please feel free to add a comment
to indicate your interest/support.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 1/4/2012 3:53 AM, mickey_roash wrote:
Hi ,

I their a way to run few different external compare editor,
each one for different file type or file extension ?

I am using RTC 3.0.1 .

Thanks,
Mickey

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.