It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Cloning a work item type

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Dec 29 '10, 3:47 p.m.
closed Jul 15 '15, 11:04 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)
I have a project and I'd like to "clone" a "defect" work item type so that I have something like Defect-Project and Defect-NonProject where Defect-NonProject starts as a clone of Defect-Project and then I can modify the few attributes that I want to change.

Is there an easy way to do this?
susan

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Jul 15 '15, 11:04 a.m.

2 answers

permanent link
Philippe Krief (561255) | answered Jan 16 '11, 5:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Susan

Actually, the cloning a Work Item type is pretty easy and fast even if RTC doesn't provide a "Duplicate" push button for the WI types...

- From the Project Area editor, go to the "Process Configuration" tab
- Select the item "Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Work Items/Types and Attributes" item on the lest list
- Press the "Add..." button to add a new WI type and select and "Existing Category": "Defect" in your case.
- Once this WI type is created, switch to the "Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Work Items/Editor Presentation" item
- Select the Editor Presentation you would like to clone for customization
- Click the button "Duplicate" and enter in ID for this new presentation.
- Return to the "Project Configuration/Configuration Data/Work Items/Types and Attributes" item and set the WI editor to this new Editor Presentation you just created.
- At this point you should be able to customize your cloned defect as much as you want...

Does it help or did I miss your point?

permanent link
Bryan Whyte (11) | answered Jul 15 '15, 10:43 a.m.
edited Jul 15 '15, 10:57 a.m.
The procedure Philippe provided above is straightforward and accurate, but if you want to customize the new work item without modifying the original you will need to perform some additional steps.

After we created the new work item, if you go into the Editor Presentation and try to modify the attributes, you will get the following warning message "This section is shared by other editor presentations.  Modifying this shared section will affect all instances of the shared section in other editor presentations.  Do you want to continue?"

- If you want to customize the new WI, then you need to select "Editor Presentations" under Work Items in the Eclipse Client.
- Chose the Editor Presentation you created when you made the clone by selecting the correct item from the pull down menu "Choose the Editor Presentation to edit:" 
NOTE: do not edit default.  Edit the clone you created.
- Any item displayed in the Editor Presentation which indicates [content shared] cannot be modified without affecting other work item presentations.

- In this example I am working from a clone of Defect named Defect2.  

1. Select "Defect2" as the Editor Presentation.
2. Duplicate Tab Section you want to customize, for example "Overview"
3. Note the second Overview Section which does not indicate [content shared]
4. Duplicate Section you want to customize, for example "Details" 
5. Note the second Details Section which does not indicate [content shared]
6. To clean up, remove the original shared Overview and Details sections (sources for steps 2 & 4) 

7. Make sure to Save your changes and that you are changing the Clone, NOT the original.