It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Ping in Metronome...

fredrik ejhed (111) | asked Dec 09 '10, 7:08 a.m.
Hi,
We have started to use Metronome as one of the tools to profile the service and narrow down bottle necks experinced by end-users. The metronome measures and displays the ping response time to the jazz repository server. We see that the ping time reported from Metronome differ much from the results from a regular OS ping machine-to-machine i.e. 200%-300%(470ms vs 167 and 82 vs 39). So the question is, what do the Metronome ping do? Is it an application to application ping? Does it call a I-am-alive web service on the Jazz server? Or what does it do and how does it differ corresponding to a regular OS ping?

Regards,
Fredrik
Ericsson

2 answers

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Dec 09 '10, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My understanding is that the OS ping is an ICMP ping which is fairly low level while the ping used by metronome is a http based ping with a certain amount of payload. In essence, it does call an "I-am-alive" service on the jazz server.

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Dec 09 '10, 11:08 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The numbers could be a bit different than an os level ping as we are actually calling into the web app and returning a jazz ping packet. So it's an app-to-app custom ping and not an OS level ping.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.