It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't read config files in RTC3.0 RC3 Windows 7

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Nov 18 '10, 11:12 p.m.
Is there some magic with RTC 3.0 and Windows 7 I don't know about? First I have had issues running the Installation Manager which seem to be Administrator related:

http://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=46119

Once I worked around those issues, I get exceptions thrown for no access to the teamserver.property files (JTS and CCM). The jts and ccm directories are readonly after the install. No easy way in Windows 7 to make them not readonly (attrib didn't work). I was able to launch VIM as an admin, edit the files, and save them - that seemed to work. I must be doing something wrong.

I also tried executing the server start.bat file as an administrator. It doesn't launch.

Anyone else using Windows 7 with the 3.0 RCs? I had no problems with Windows 7 using RTC2.x or the RTC 3.0 betas until the release candidates. Then I have had lots of problems with installation and setup.

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 19 '10, 12:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I haven't seen your issues but I run as administrator.

The best suggestion I can give here is NOT to install into Program Files(x86). That directory has special protection policies that makes it painful to work with it. You can still do it but you'd have to start a shell as administrator to launch the server and see all the issues you describe below. You would have to launch your editor as admin to edit the .properties files.

I switched over to install in some other directory e.g. C:\RTC

Despite that I tend to run everything from a shell that is running with administrative permissions.

The same seems to apply to Windows Server 2008.

Ralph

Is there some magic with RTC 3.0 and Windows 7 I don't know about? First I have had issues running the Installation Manager which seem to be Administrator related:

http://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=46119

Once I worked around those issues, I get exceptions thrown for no access to the teamserver.property files (JTS and CCM). The jts and ccm directories are readonly after the install. No easy way in Windows 7 to make them not readonly (attrib didn't work). I was able to launch VIM as an admin, edit the files, and save them - that seemed to work. I must be doing something wrong.

I also tried executing the server start.bat file as an administrator. It doesn't launch.

Anyone else using Windows 7 with the 3.0 RCs? I had no problems with Windows 7 using RTC2.x or the RTC 3.0 betas until the release candidates. Then I have had lots of problems with installation and setup.

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Nov 19 '10, 9:26 a.m.
Thanks for the quick reply Ralph. My account is an administrator and I do install elsewhere. I do for all Rational products in Windows 7 as I have had the similar problems with Rhapsody and others in the (x86) directory.

When you say "run as administrator", does that mean your account has administrator permissions? Or do you launch a DOS shell "as administrator" and then run everything from it? I also wonder why there was no problem with 2.x or the 3.0 milestones, but the RCs have all been an issue.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 19 '10, 10:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

with "run as admin", I meant start a cmd with "run as administrator" and run from there. The Install manager however does not need that - there is a check box that covers this checked by default. IM queries the permission somehow and after you as a user confirm gets it.

Make sure to run the newest IM you can get it from the web installer, just in case.

After even successful install I have seen trouble when e.g. trying to start the server without running in a shell that was run with "run as administrator" especially in the case I installed into Program Files. I even could not get an editor to write the teamserver.properties.

I did an install on a machine with special policy settings once. The policy restricted where something could be written, similar to your situation. No way to bring up the server in this situation. If you can't get the folders read write it is not going to work because the setup needs to write the teamserver.properties and other files.

Ralph

Thanks for the quick reply Ralph. My account is an administrator and I do install elsewhere. I do for all Rational products in Windows 7 as I have had the similar problems with Rhapsody and others in the (x86) directory.

When you say "run as administrator", does that mean your account has administrator permissions? Or do you launch a DOS shell "as administrator" and then run everything from it? I also wonder why there was no problem with 2.x or the 3.0 milestones, but the RCs have all been an issue.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.