It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practices on managing process templates

Claudia Callegari (44449871) | asked Nov 09 '10, 7:06 a.m.
I would like to brainstorm a situation to hear the best practices to manage the following scenario:

Basically I have 2 process definitions (Proc A, and Proc B). Both process definitions are mainly the same, but they defer just in 1 work item type. Let's assume they differ on defect management but they are the same for the rest of the process.
Which options do I have to implement this?

Option 1: create and maintain 2 process templates (1 for Proc A and 1 for Proc B), keeping the defect management isolated but with the cons of having duplicity on the common definitions, which makes it harder to maintain.

Option 2: create and maintain only 1 process template, and at the deployment time specificy with defect mgmt definition (workflow/presentation, etc.) the project needs to use. One of the cons is that you need manual work at deployment time and ensure you have setup everything ok.

Option 3: I was looking for a model where I could "consume" portions of a proc template, or probably install parts on the fly, but not able to figure out how I could manage this. (I have been taking a look at the process sharing feature in 3.0 beta but it seems to do not help).

Your thoughts and brainstorming will help me on taking the appropriate decision. Thanks in advance.

--Claudia Callegari

2 answers

permanent link
Thomas Yu (45183) | answered Nov 09 '10, 11:47 p.m.
I would like to brainstorm a situation to hear the best practices to manage the following scenario:

Basically I have 2 process definitions (Proc A, and Proc B). Both process definitions are mainly the same, but they defer just in 1 work item type. Let's assume they differ on defect management but they are the same for the rest of the process.

Option 1: create and maintain 2 process templates (1 for Proc A and 1 for Proc B), keeping the defect management isolated but with the cons of having duplicity on the common definitions, which makes it harder to maintain.

Option 2: create and maintain only 1 process template, and at the deployment time specificy with defect mgmt definition (workflow/presentation, etc.) the project needs to use. One of the cons is that you need manual work at deployment time and ensure you have setup everything ok.

Option 3: I was looking for a model where I could "consume" portions of a proc template, or probably install parts on the fly, but not able to figure out how I could manage this. (I have been taking a look at the process sharing feature in 3.0 beta but it seems to do not help).

Your thoughts and brainstorming will help me on taking the appropriate decision. Thanks in advance.

--Claudia Callegari

In this case, I don't think there is a simple way to satisfy your scenario.
Basically, I think you have already mentioned the possible options:
1.Maintain 2 process templates as you said..
2.Maintain 1 process template, and if one project area need the extra work item type, you can customerize it in the project area.....

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 10 '10, 1:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
What you want is "process fragments", from work item 29537, or its
duplicate, 65652. Please feel free to add a comment to one of those
work items, to indicate your interest/support.

(Process Team: It would probably be good to mark one of those work items
as a duplicate of the other).

Cheers,
Geoff

On 11/9/2010 7:08 AM, ccalleg wrote:
I would like to brainstorm a situation to hear the best practices to
manage the following scenario:

Basically I have 2 process definitions (Proc A, and Proc B). Both
process definitions are mainly the same, but they defer just in 1
work item type. Let's assume they differ on defect management but
they are the same for the rest of the process.

Option 1: create and maintain 2 process templates (1 for Proc A and 1
for Proc B), keeping the defect management isolated but with the cons
of having duplicity on the common definitions, which makes it harder
to maintain.

Option 2: create and maintain only 1 process template, and at the
deployment time specificy with defect mgmt definition
(workflow/presentation, etc.) the project needs to use. One of the
cons is that you need manual work at deployment time and ensure you
have setup everything ok.

Option 3: I was looking for a model where I could "consume"
portions of a proc template, or probably install parts on the fly,
but not able to figure out how I could manage this. (I have been
taking a look at the process sharing feature in 3.0 beta but it seems
to do not help).

Your thoughts and brainstorming will help me on taking the appropriate
decision. Thanks in advance.

--Claudia Callegari

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.