It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAFW read cell: resources consumption question

Jorge Diaz (8664434) | asked Nov 05 '10, 4:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

are there any minimal free resources for the WAS server machine when running the RAFW read existing cell wizard? Is it recommended to run this operation in off load times? Does BF MC server needs free resources prior launching this opeartion?

We have seen that, when this operation is ran, WAS performance lowers. Are there any recommendations for executing this kind of operations?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jorge.

3 answers

permanent link
Keir Morgan (4143) | answered Nov 10 '10, 1:03 a.m.
Jorge,

As you have observed it can put a noticeable load depending on your hardware.
In terms of resources, at minimum, there's the cost of a new JVM startup,
the resident and heap size of the wsadmin process as well as the CPU load
that is generated by interrogating server1 / dmgr.

I don't typically perform this existing cell creation frequently, but in my
lower tier environment typically I schedule the activity outside of normal
activity and deployment windows. For my production environments, I've
typically notified our NOC and taken a no downtime, no change outage window.

Regards.

permanent link
Timothy Robertson (216143) | answered Nov 11 '10, 10:38 a.m.
Hey Keir! Hope things are well....

Jorge,

Keir's guidance is spot on. I did want to add 1 additional comment. I have seen in a very small handful of cases the existing cell wizard taking an extremely long time to run, we're talking 4+ hours. In every one of these cases the time dropped to around 30 seconds after the dmgr was restarted. You shouldn't have to bounce the dmgr, but if you are seeing some sort of ridiculous consumption of resources or the wizard is taking a very long time I would try bouncing the dmgr jvm.

--tim

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Nov 11 '10, 10:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Tim and Keir,

beyond the recommendations given (very useful indeed), the main concern of customer is to have a clear guidance of requirements to set for this operation. In official documentation it only mentions minimum 512MB which is ridiculous for what I've seen in a real environment, but there's no way of knowing required resources other than "hit and fail", something not very manageable for a production environment.

Do you have any guidelines for hardware provisioning? Last time we added an extra 1GB of free memory which the process took to work.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jorge.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.