It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Options for executing the RFT Adapter

Aaron Shepherd (37167) | asked Oct 29 '10, 11:13 a.m.
Has anyone had any experience executing the RFT Adapter from another source other than the provided batch file? Specifically, I would like to programatically change the Adapter name at runtime and explore other options that we can tweak for our setup. I'm hoping that I can just import the required classes and launch it from our own interface, but a solution executing the existing launcher would work too.

2 answers

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Nov 02 '10, 2:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Has anyone had any experience executing the RFT Adapter from another source other than the provided batch file? Specifically, I would like to programatically change the Adapter name at runtime and explore other options that we can tweak for our setup. I'm hoping that I can just import the required classes and launch it from our own interface, but a solution executing the existing launcher would work too.

Hi Aaron,

You can configure the adapter at runtime by passing parameters to startadapter.bat. For example, create a batch file like this:

@ECHO OFF

CD "%IBM_RATIONAL_RFT_ECLIPSE_DIR%\FunctionalTester\RQMAdapter\"
startadapter.bat -repository <repository> -user <username> -password <password> -adapter <adapter> -projectarea <project>

Does that help?

Cheers,
Patrick

permanent link
Aaron Shepherd (37167) | answered Nov 03 '10, 8:37 a.m.

Hi Aaron,

You can configure the adapter at runtime by passing parameters to startadapter.bat. For example, create a batch file like this:

@ECHO OFF

CD "%IBM_RATIONAL_RFT_ECLIPSE_DIR%\FunctionalTester\RQMAdapter\"
startadapter.bat -repository <repository> -user <username> -password <password> -adapter <adapter> -projectarea <project>

Does that help?

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for the response, that was exactly what I was looking for. However, it has brought up a new issue that I posted on the IBM internal RFT forum, but maybe you can answer it here as I am not sure if it is an RFT issue or an RQM issue.

Basically, the RQM UI does not seem to update the adapter information as it should. If I specify a name for the adapter, either though the CLI argument you posted or through the adapter UI, RQM does not get the updated name and continues to show the old information.

After some digging, I found an IBM technote (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21322540) which described how to get the adapter to update to the proper RQM server. This issue sounded similar to mine so I removed the rqm.rftadapterid option from my adapter's preference file. When I did this, a new id was generated and RQM displayed my desired adapter name as I expected it should.

So, it seems that either the adapter is not propagating it's information correctly, or RQM is not updating the information stored for the adapter. As a workaround, I can removed the preference file each time I want to rename the adapter, but it seems that RQM keeps all of the old ids so all the previous adapters show up in the list.

Have you heard anything about this issue? Any better solutions other than the workaround I have described? Also, in my testing I discovered that the rqm.adaptername option does not seem to be used by anything as it is not updated when I change the name, nor is the RQM UI updated when I change the option directly.

Thanks,

Aaron

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.