It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to enforce who can manage the state of an asset

Des Drury (66107) | asked Sep 21 '10, 1:45 a.m.
Hi,

I have just started looking at the asset lifecycles and I am struggling to understand how to accomplish what I am after.

A bit of background. We have an asset type called Release that we use to collect together relationships to the components of a release. Components being another asset type. The Release asset has a custom lifecycle with 3 states, draft, accepted and deployable. As we have a number of projects we have created a category that allows the project for a release to be selected. What we want to do is ensure that only members of the Release Managers group for that project can change the state of the Release asset.

I can see that a community has groups that can contain users. I also see that I can create a custom role that can be associated with a particular asset type, i.e. Release, and a particular category. Within the lifecycle editing facility I also see that I can have lifecycle managers. I have conducted some tests and what I cannot get is a clear picture on the best way to achieve my requirements. These requirements being:

* All members of the community have visibility on all Release assets regardless of which project (category) the asset has associated with it.
* Only certain users (within in a a group?) can change the state of the Release asset that has a particular project (category). With there being as many groups as there are projects.

It would also seem that I may need to create a particular instance of a lifecycle for each set of permissions I want to create. In other words I would need one lifecycle per project (category)?

Any help would be appreciated as I am not quite connecting the dots at the moment.

Many thanks.

Des Drury

6 answers

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Oct 13 '10, 10:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
At this time, changing states is allowed by anyone that can update an asset. We are looking in the future to provide a specific entitlement for state changes.

You can customize (on a state, say accepted) to override the modify permission .. which mean to "ignore" the community update permission.... i.e., only allow collaborators with editing checked on that state to update.

Also, add the PM group (a RAM group that can be linked to LDAP) as the collaborators on that state.

permanent link
Des Drury (66107) | answered Oct 19 '10, 8:25 p.m.
Hi Gili,

We had a look at changing the update permission on the Asset but ran into a problem. With Component Assets we wanted to lock the developer out of making changes once the Component had reached a certain state. However, if we take update permission away from the developer then they cannot create new versions of the Component. So we can't see any way to stop the developer making changes to a particular version of an Asset.

Cheers.

Des

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Oct 20 '10, 6:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have a read permission, and ability to create assets, you should be able to create a new version from the little icon on the right top corner in the asset details.

permanent link
Des Drury (66107) | answered Oct 25 '10, 6:02 p.m.
If you have a read permission, and ability to create assets, you should be able to create a new version from the little icon on the right top corner in the asset details.

Hi,

I did a test this morning and ensured that the user I was testing with had both the read permission and the ability to create Assets. Unfortunately I still do not see the create new version icon once I remove the user as being the owner of the Asset.

The details are:

RAM 7.2.0.2

Role: Component Producer
Permissions:
* Create assets
* Download assets
* Read asset details
* Search assets
* Subscribe to assets
Asset Type must be: Component

I just assigned the user the Component Producer role. This allowed me to create a new Component Asset. Which I was free to update. However, as soon as I replaced the owner as well as not being able to update the Asset (which was expected) I was also unable to create a new version of it. The only icons showing at this stage are to duplicate the Asset or send an email about it.

Cheers.

Des

permanent link
Des Drury (66107) | answered Oct 26 '10, 11:45 p.m.
Hi,

I just tried out the same test on RAM 7.5 and it works! Looks like the issue was caused by using RAM 7.2.0.2.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Des

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Oct 27 '10, 6:14 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

7202 GA did not handle that condition. It was fixed in the first test
fix of 7202. If you want it for 7202 you should get the latest 7202
testfix, which is fix 7.

--
Rich Kulp
Rational Asset Manager developer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.