It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Setup multiple projects on one server

Gary Dang (59338955) | asked Mar 27 '08, 2:26 a.m.
We need to setup multiple independent projects on the same physical box. Eeach project is isolated from the others and has its own repository. However, 1) only one repository can be defined in teamserver.properties file, and 2) only one CQ database and one URI can be defined in cqconnector.properties file for Gateway connector. How can we setup such an environment? Thanks.

22 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 07 '08, 4:20 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Just to confirm, when you say that the Jazz Server is running on virtual
IP's, does that mean that you are able to connect Team Concert clients
to those servers? So it is just the CQ Connector that is not working?

Cheers,
Geoff

gdang wrote:
So far, I tried the following and was able to make the jazz serverr
run on virtual IPs using port 443 - at least looks working. But, I
was not able to get the CQ connector working, still struggling.....

Just FYI, not mean to misleading....

1. Stop Jazz server
2. Open the file server.xml file in the directory Program
Files\IBM\JazzGDE\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf.
a. Change the port number 9005 (Shut down) to a unique port on the
server, e.g. 9006, 9007, etc.
b. Add a parameter address=10.10.10.10 for the virtual IP for each
port 9005, 9009, and 443
c. Save and close the file
3. Open the file server_minimal.xml file in the directory Program
Files\IBM\JazzGDE\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf.
a. Add a parameter address=10.10.10.10 for the virtual IP for each
port 8080, 8009, and 8005
b. Save and close the file
4. Restart Jazz server.

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 07 '08, 8:59 p.m.
Yes, Geoff. Using the configuration above, I was able to set up two RTC instances on one server - each using a distinct virtual IP and DNS name, both use port 443. Jazz Web and RTC Eclipse clients, and CC Connector also works fine. When I was trying to use similar approach to setup CQ Gateway, however, I saw errors - "invalid port number" error or "cannot find jazz server for project area" error.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 07 '08, 11:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
So the remaining issue is being discussed in the thread titled " ERROR com.ibm.rational.interop.level1", correct?

Cheers,
Geoff

gdang wrote:
Yes, Geoff. Using the configuration above, I was able to set up two
RTC instances on one server - each using a distinct virtual IP and
DNS name, both use port 443. Jazz Web and RTC Eclipse clients, and
CC Connector also works fine. When I was trying to use similar
approach to setup CQ Gateway, however, I saw errors - "invalid
port number" error or "cannot find jazz server for project
area" error.

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 07 '08, 11:31 p.m.
OK. Thanks. Either thread is fine. The issue may well be related.

permanent link
Richard Piazza (381) | answered Jul 09 '08, 11:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Gary,

I want to fully understand the configuration that you wish to set up, before we continue. Doug Weissman gave a presentation on what we call the "island" scenario, which is multiple Jazz/RTC server instances (maybe running on the same machine) and ONE cq gateway connected to the ONE CQ db that contains all of the different projects.

From what I understand, this is NOT the configuration you want. Here is what I gleam, from reading the various threads and work items, what your desired configuration is:

1. n Jazz/RTC server instances (for security), each running in their own Tomcat instance, on the same physical machine.
2. n CQ gateway instances, each running in their own Tomcat instance, on the same physical machine (perhaps even the same machine as the jazz servers are running).
3. n different CQ dbs, which is why n CQ gateways are needed (since gateways and CQ dbs are one-to-one).
4. The Jazz server instances and the gateway instances are paired - one-to-one.
5. all tomcat instances are on the same machine have a different ip addresses (which map to the one machine), but use the same port number.

Can you confirm or correct this configuration??

Rich Piazza
Jazz CQ Connector team

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Jul 09 '08, 12:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
By the way, how are you accomplishing step 5, that is, assigning different ip addresses to the same machine? Is this a Windows machine? The work item that you reference has a comment that mentions this is possible since they are using AIX.

Lorelei

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Jul 09 '08, 1:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Gary, you should verify that feed links and work item notification links are correct. If not, you may also need to update port and hostname properties in the advanced server configuration. See the following links for details:

https://jazz.net/jazzdocs/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.team.concert.doc/helpindex_rtc.htm
https://jazz.net/jazzdocs/topic/com.ibm.team.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_post_config.html

Ritchie Schacher
Jazz Server Development

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 09 '08, 3:44 p.m.
Thank you all for the comments. I had been able to make the RTC working and is getting close to make the CQGateway working as well (need some testing).

To Rich Piazza:
We have completely unrelated customers/projects who want to try out RTC. Each of these customers does not want to and cannot share RTC repository. They already have their own CQ databases. That means each customer/project must have its own RTC repository and its own CQGateway for its own CQ database. Each customer/project will use a separate URL (different DNS names) on port 443 (which is sort of standard - not to use 9443). Due to HW limitation, we will have all these customers/projects share one physical server for RTC.

1. n Jazz/RTC server instances (for security), each running in their own Tomcat instance, on the same physical machine. ]
2. n CQ gateway instances, each running in their own Tomcat instance ], on the same physical machine (perhaps even the same machine as the jazz servers are running) ].
3. n different CQ dbs, which is why n CQ gateways are needed (since gateways and CQ dbs are one-to-one). ]
4. The Jazz server instances and the gateway instances are paired - one-to-one. ]
5. all tomcat instances are on the same machine have a different ip addresses (which map to the one machine), but use the same port number. ]

Thanks.

permanent link
Richard Piazza (381) | answered Jul 09 '08, 4:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Gary,

So what help do you need at this point? Are you past your previous problem with multiple cq gateways?

Rich

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 09 '08, 4:35 p.m.
Rich, a developer is building a work item category and some sync rules. We will test the CQGateway afterwards. At least for now, we are not seeing the invalid port number error and are able to lunch http://myIP:8081/InteropGateway/InteropServlet. I will update you how it goes later. Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.