It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I import tasks and reflect a hierarchy

James Leone (13613513) | asked Aug 19 '10, 2:22 a.m.
We are using RTC 2.0.0.2M3 (web and Eclipse client). We have our product backlogs filled up with user stories. During sprint planning meetings we move those user stories to specific sprint backlogs. At that point, we break down the subtasks to complete that user story (including estimates for each task).

The Excel UI is very quick and the copy and paste functionality makes doing this task breakdown very easy. Unfortunately, it is difficult to import the tasks from Excel into RTC such that they are children of the pertinent story.

Yes, we can save the Excel file as CSV and import the task, but I can't figure out how to import them such that they are children of the parent story.

Is there a column we could add (like Parent) or something that would allow us to have this hierarchy reflected upon import.

2 answers

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Aug 23 '10, 9:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can try using the following values for the targetId in the mapping file:

com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.parent
com.ibm.team.workitem.rcp.core.children

but I'm not certain if they are supported for the CSV importer. They are supported in the Bugzilla importer. In that case, you would need to convert the csv file into the xml file that the Bugzilla importer expects.

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814761) | answered Jun 26 '13, 9:56 a.m.

Not sure if the original poster still has this question or not, but for any others who might be looking, you CAN set the parent of a work item that you are importing into RTC via CSV. To do this, ensure that one of the columns you are importing is designated as the "parent" column. For the value of that column, specify the work item that you are trying to link to and precede the number with the '#' character. So the CSV would look something like:

Type,Summary,Description,"Parent"
Defect,Test parent linkage,This is a test.,"#3354"

This should create a defect work item and link it to the parent work item #3354. I'm not sure if you need these quotes, but I did an import where the quotes were present and it worked so if it isn't broken, I won't fix it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.