It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Show report parameter display text in the report

Salvatore D'Alò (2121) | asked Jul 28 '10, 10:05 a.m.
Hi,
I create my own report and would like to show the display text of a report parameter (note not the value). I am using the form params.displayText which successfully works in Report Design Preview of Eclipse. On the contrary, nothing is displayed when the report is deployed to the server. What is wrong?

Thanks,
Salvatore

3 answers

permanent link
Robert Huet (23112884) | answered Aug 10 '12, 1:07 p.m.
I am having exactly the same problem.  I need the parameter display text and am using the following expression: reportContext.getParameterDisplayText("FiledAgainst")

This works perfectly in the Eclipse Report Design preview but does  not display anything when deployed to the RTC server.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Aug 11 '12, 11:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC currently does not save the display text along with the value of the report parameters. We did that for performance reasons as the display text could change while the value (usually the item GUID) never changes.
Keeping the display text up to date will be a challenge.

Comments
Robert Huet commented Aug 12 '12, 9:53 p.m.

Thank you for answering my question, Rafik. It is good to know that I am not doing something wrong.

The reason I would like access to the parameter display text is so that I can show all the selected parameter values in the report (the GUID, of course, is meaningless to the users, and it is important for them to see what parameters were used to generate the report). I was able to work around this limitation by creating another query that retrieves just the parameter display value for the selected parameter data value. However, this is not a perfect solution because it does not handle the case where the user selects multiple values for that parameter.

Thanks, Robert

permanent link
Oliver Vinn (261) | answered May 29 '14, 6:11 a.m.
Its really frustrating that you have a perfectly good report running against the dataset and then you upload it to see it doesn't work. Requiring you to hack it to pieces guessing what RTC doesn't support to get it in a host-able state, which in turn practically prevents any further development/test in an unhosted environment because now its not a BIRT compliant report.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.