It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is baseline called "Backup before replace" on

David Dulling (13731212) | asked Jul 16 '10, 10:02 a.m.
Often when I'm showing baselines of components, the latest one will be called "Backup before replace". It seems to have been generated automatically by RTC for some reason.

Can anyone explain what this is?

Thanks

David

7 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Aug 11 '11, 10:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Like Geoff said, they are created when replace operations are performed. They also occur when dropping components from your workspace but that baseline will be called "Backup before drop". A baseline is created if there are changes since the last baseline. If there are no changes, no baseline is created because a baseline already represents that time in history.

Your client shouldn't worry about having more baselines.

Comments
Frank Ning commented Mar 06 '13, 1:11 p.m.
  1. As the RTC administrator and builder, what do they need to know and do about the "Backup before drop" baselines?
  2. Did you mean when developers deliver changes to the stream, the "Backup before replace" baseline will be automatically created before next baseline created by automatic build process? If not, can you please clarify more in what situations the baseline is created (more details)? And in what special situations we need to do something about that?

Frank Ning commented Mar 06 '13, 1:15 p.m.

And what about "Backup before drop"? When does that happen? In what situation we need to do something?

I saw a lot of these baselines. They are annoying since developers may like to choose a baseline of a component. They cause the list to be too long.

Tim Mok commented Mar 06 '13, 2:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It's a backup before removing (ie. dropping) a component from the workspace. Any time a user decides to remove a component from a workspace or stream, a baseline with that description is created (if necessary) before removing the component. There is no need to do anything about this. It's just insurance in case the component has to be added back with that configuration.

Your developers are hitting a scalability issue but perhaps there's another way to get the configuration they want. If it's a really old baseline, there's probably not much you can do at the moment. The only consolation is the baselines seem to be fetched in order of the component baseline history so more recent baselines show up first. If they want the baselines that are in a snapshot, they can create a new workspace from that and accept the baselines from the workspace. Then delete that new workspace after.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 16 '10, 5:39 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
That baseline is created to capture the state of a workspace/stream
immediately before a "replace" operation is applied to that
workspace/stream. That allows you to see the in the history of the
workspace/stream state of the workspace/stream immediately before the
replace occurred.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 7/16/2010 10:08 AM, daviddulling wrote:
Often when I'm showing baselines of components, the latest one will be
called "Backup before replace". It seems to have been
generated automatically by RTC for some reason.

Can anyone explain what this is?

Thanks

David

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Aug 11 '11, 8:05 a.m.
Is there a way to prevent those "backup before replace" happening?

One of my customer has reported me that RTC has suddenly started to create those baselines.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Aug 11 '11, 8:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

One of my customer has reported me that RTC has suddenly started to create those baselines.
It cannot be prevented as it is part of the operation to provide the user a way to undo the replace. Why would your customer want to prevent backup baselines from being created? The additional cost of the baseline is minimal.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Aug 11 '11, 8:55 a.m.

It cannot be prevented as it is part of the operation to provide the user a way to undo the replace. Why would your customer want to prevent backup baselines from being created? The additional cost of the baseline is minimal.

Fisrt of all, I cant create this scenario in my local enviroment. I have been using RTC for almost 1.5 year and I never got this "backup before replace" baselines. Is there a specific scenario that I can apply and see this baselines? As far as I understand I only have to replace the component in a stream with a different baseline, am right?

According to my client, those backups are not needed. It duplicates the baseline number of a component.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Aug 11 '11, 2:48 p.m.
Like Geoff said, they are created when replace operations are performed. They also occur when dropping components from your workspace but that baseline will be called "Backup before drop". A baseline is created if there are changes since the last baseline. If there are no changes, no baseline is created because a baseline already represents that time in history.

I explained the situation to them and they are happy with the answer :) Thanx a lot.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered May 15 '12, 12:31 p.m.

I explained the situation to them and they are happy with the answer :) Thanx a lot.

Would a simple accept of pending changes trigger multiple component replaces ? I ask because one development group suddenly saw bundles of incoming changes
which seem to have derived from one developer accepting changes (after about a
week away) which created a "backup before replace" baseline on each of the
streams components.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.