It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Checkin external edits with RTC

Danil Suits (81177) | asked Jun 28 '10, 11:41 a.m.
Usecase: I want to checkin edits made to my component, when those changes were not made via Eclipse. Can this be done from Eclipse, or must I drop to the CLI to do it?

Example: I open my workspace in Team Concert, and load a component into my local workspace. ActOfGod occurs, changing the contents of one or more files. I now wish to checkin those changes to my remote workspace.

Can this be done? Is there some way to tell the RTC to go look for external edits?

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 28 '10, 1:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Usecase: I want to checkin edits made to my component, when those changes were not made via Eclipse. Can this be done from Eclipse, or must I drop to the CLI to do it?

Example: I open my workspace in Team Concert, and load a component into my local workspace. ActOfGod occurs, changing the contents of one or more files. I now wish to checkin those changes to my remote workspace.

Can this be done? Is there some way to tell the RTC to go look for external edits?

Hi Danil

Don't panic! Go into the Package Explorer, and Refresh (should be F3). Refresh the whole project to be safe.

You can tell if the change has been picked up when you see a new Unresolved Entry in Pending Changes.

I have been doing this for ages when working with Word and PowerPoint files from within Eclipse, and it works find as long as you remember to Refresh before you check in.

anthony

permanent link
Danil Suits (81177) | answered Jun 28 '10, 6:04 p.m.
Don't panic! Go into the Package Explorer, and Refresh (should be F3). Refresh the whole project to be safe.

That was the hint I needed, thank you.

permanent link
Danil Suits (81177) | answered Jun 29 '10, 5:06 p.m.

You can tell if the change has been picked up when you see a new Unresolved Entry in Pending Changes.

I have been doing this for ages when working with Word and PowerPoint files from within Eclipse, and it works find as long as you remember to Refresh before you check in.

As I remarked previously, this worked but...

I don't have my head in the right context yet. Looking at
/Team/Jazz Source Control/Local Changes

There is a "Look for external changes before modifying local files" option. Enabling this change, and applying the preferences, should change the observable behavior in some way.

My expectation was that this would pick up changes on the file system automagically. My experiments tell me that isn't true. So what is that setting supposed to be doing for me, and is it actually doing it?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.