It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

prepending of project name to source files.

Kevin Kingsbury (611310) | asked Mar 03 '08, 4:01 p.m.
Hi. I am fairly new to jazz scm (about 1 week so far). I am trying to check in some of our existing source files to start working with and see if jazz will work for our environment.

The process that I am going through to get the source into the jazz server is the following.

- Create a New Project and load the source into it.
- Share the new project with a Stream and Component
of a jazz repository.
- Looking at the pending changes for the stream shows that
the files of my source now have the project prepended to
the path of the files.

If I then extract these files, I will see that extract happens into a directory that matches the name of the project.

For example:

If I have a file called src/test.java in a project testproj. I will see the following checked into the jazz server.

testproj/src/test.java

Is there anyway that this function can be turned off? Or is this a problem with the current milestone. I am running on milestone M5.

Thanks,
Kevin

5 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Mar 03 '08, 10:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We check-in the same structure as shown in the local sandbox. If your looking for an easy way to import from an existing location on the filesystem, try the following, create a new project and in the wizard select the "create project from existing source". That will create a project with the name and pointing to your original files.
Jean-Michel
Jazz Source Control Team

permanent link
Kevin Kingsbury (611310) | answered Mar 04 '08, 6:01 a.m.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I was expecting for the check-in to not include the project name. So does the check-in happen relative to the eclipse workspace not relative to the project? i.e. I have the following structure with oal being the name of the local project that I have created. I did a create project from existing source when creating the project.

oal (eclipse project)
|
|--polaris/src
| |--com.ibm.cdb.api
| | |--ApiFactory.java
| |--analysis.xml
|--build.sh
|--image.sh

So after the project is created and all the updates are completed to check-in the new code to my repository, I see the following in the pending changes view.

oal
oal/polaris
oal/polaris/src
oal/polaris/src/com
oal/polaris/src/com/ibm
oal/polaris/src/com/ibm/cdb
oal/polaris/src/com/ibm/cdb/api
oal/polaris/src/com/ibm/cdb/api/ApiFactory.java
oal/polairs/src/analysis.xml
oal/build.sh
oal/image.sh

Is this what should be expected? I was expecting the same structure, except with out the project name (oal) being prepended to the checked in code.

Thanks,
Kevin

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Mar 04 '08, 9:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, this is expected. It turns out that the Eclipse workspace is like a root folder "/", but it doesn't allow children that are files (although the Jazz SCM technically does). So everything in the local sandbox needs a parent folder.

In M6, after the check-in of the new project, if you want to load a subset of the tree that will also be possible.

permanent link
Kevin Kingsbury (611310) | answered Mar 04 '08, 10:15 a.m.
So does this mean that when I share the repository with an eclipse project, that the project always needs to be named the same (oal in my case)?

Our project has always used CMVC for our scm. And is currently evaluating Jazz. I used the eclipse plugin for CMVC and it had an option to include the project name in the source path or to exclude it. So the plugin would either check-in the files as something like "oal/src/com..." if the option was selected or as "src/com..." if the option was not selected.

Are there any plans to have a capability like the above? Also, is there a way to share code with a project that is not named the same as the original project it was checked in as?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Kevin

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Mar 04 '08, 11:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We don't have that option. But after sharing you will be able to load "src" as a root folder.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.