It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to validate running Application Server?

Eliya Voldman (41152) | asked Jun 11 '10, 11:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I'm a new user ... so I think my experience is quite good for consumability purposes.
I have RTC installed M6 with DB2 database and Tomcat application server.
I created project , work items and etc. Everything works fine. I installed WebSphere Application Server 7.0.0.9
Now I followed instructions from http://cclbld39.beaverton.ibm.com:9082/RTC30_INThelp/index.jsp in order to replace Tomcat for WebSphere. Instructions are not accurate ( I'll file a ticket later ) ... and in some cases I had to do assumptions rather than follow instructions. At the end I verified that rtc_war application was installed and running.
Now I can't start Jazz Team Server ( most likely because I configured wrongly when setup WebSphere ... BUT I'd like to be sure that I'm running WebSphere and not Tomcat server.
Could someone let me know how to check which application server is used for the current Jazz Team Server?
Thanks.
P.S. I was able to follow instructions again ( I filed UA ticket 117814 ) and was able to create project and etc ... but I still can't figure out if I'm running WebSphere or Tomcat? Could someone tell me how to find out if I'm running WebSphere or Tomcat application server.

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 14 '10, 8:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
I'm a new user ... so I think my experience is quite good for consumability purposes.
I created project , work items and etc. Everything works fine. I installed WebSphere Application Server 7.0.0.9
Now I followed instructions from http://cclbld39.beaverton.ibm.com:9082/RTC30_INThelp/index.jsp in order to replace Tomcat for WebSphere. Instructions are not accurate ( I'll file a ticket later ) ... and in some cases I had to do assumptions rather than follow instructions. At the end I verified that rtc_war application was installed and running.
Now I can't start Jazz Team Server ( most likely because I configured wrongly when setup WebSphere ... BUT I'd like to be sure that I'm running WebSphere and not Tomcat server.
Could someone let me know how to check which application server is used for the current Jazz Team Server?
Thanks.
P.S. I was able to follow instructions again ( I filed UA ticket 117814 ) and was able to create project and etc ... but I still can't figure out if I'm running WebSphere or Tomcat? Could someone tell me how to find out if I'm running WebSphere or Tomcat application server.

Hi

I was going to say you can see this from the WebUI in the admin pages - but that does not tell you what app server you have....

If your server was running - you should be able to use the WAS admin tools to see that WAS is indeed running, and that the app deployed ok, and most importantly, the ports it is using, say for https. Then if you use the WebUI to connect to that port - you must be running on WAS.

None of this helps you case. You need to look at the jazz settings to see if they are pointing to WAS or Tomcat.

teamserver.properties in <installdir>\server\conf\jazz has lots of info - but can only hint at what app server - it tells you what user registry you are using - com.ibm.team.repository.user.registry.type=TOMCAT and if that says TOMCAT - this will mean you are still pointing to Tomcat as a user registry.

This is a really good question - hope someone has a better suggestion.

anthony

permanent link
Eliya Voldman (41152) | answered Jun 14 '10, 10:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
Thanks.

Hi

I was going to say you can see this from the WebUI in the admin pages - but that does not tell you what app server you have....

If your server was running - you should be able to use the WAS admin tools to see that WAS is indeed running, and that the app deployed ok, and most importantly, the ports it is using, say for https. Then if you use the WebUI to connect to that port - you must be running on WAS.

None of this helps you case. You need to look at the jazz settings to see if they are pointing to WAS or Tomcat.

teamserver.properties in <installdir>\server\conf\jazz has lots of info - but can only hint at what app server - it tells you what user registry you are using - com.ibm.team.repository.user.registry.type=TOMCAT and if that says TOMCAT - this will mean you are still pointing to Tomcat as a user registry.

This is a really good question - hope someone has a better suggestion.

anthony

Anthony,
I appreciate your reply,
about checking WAS console: I do see that rtc_was application is installed and started ... but I don't know where/how from the WAS console to determine that rtc is in use and which port it's using.
about teamserver.properties: in my case everything is configured in <installdir>\server\conf\rtc and when I check teamserver.properties I see this line: com.ibm.team.repository.user.registry.type=DETECT
Well, the project works fine, the WAS has rtc installed but I still don't know if I'm using it :lol: BTW I'm using RTC 3.0

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.