It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Command Line Adapter: NPE in Attach handler thread

Markus Nosse (15112828) | asked Jun 11 '10, 8:21 a.m.
Hi all,

one of my users today reported that during execution of a test script the command line adapter logged a null pointer exception in the "attach handler" thread. Here is the stack trace:
Exception in thread "Attach handler" java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:262)
at com.ibm.tools.attach.javaSE.IPC.getTargetDirectoryPath(IPC.java:627)
at com.ibm.tools.attach.javaSE.IPC.getNotificationSyncFile(IPC.java:511)
at com.ibm.tools.attach.javaSE.AttachHandler.waitForNotification(AttachHandler.java:232)
at com.ibm.tools.attach.javaSE.AttachHandler.run(AttachHandler.java:163)

I am not sure if this exception is thrown by code that was tested, or by the command line adapter itself. It would be great if you could help me to understand where this problem comes from.

Kind regards,
Markus

2 answers

permanent link
Andrew Taylor (1111) | answered Jun 11 '10, 9:49 a.m.
Markus,

The exception you have posted is coming from the JVM and not the CommandLineAdapter code, specifically from a feature know as 'late attach' or 'the attach API'.

If this happens more regularly you can disable this feature, but it should not affect the execution of the CommandLineAdapter if memory serves correctly.

Some more information would be useful to decide what the best action to take might be:
Does this happen regularly?
Does the JVM keep running after this?
What version of java are you using specifically? (type 'java -version' and paste the output here)

-AndyT

permanent link
Markus Nosse (15112828) | answered Jun 11 '10, 11:14 a.m.
Andy,

thanks for the info. I will dig deeper into this starting next week. If the need arises, I'll update this post.

Thanks, have a great weekend,
Markus

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.