It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Order of work items changes when moving story to new folder

Ethan Vogel (5142) | asked May 27 '10, 9:15 p.m.
I've hit something in the Plan Editor which is either a defect, or I'm doing something wrong. Perhaps someone can help.

I'm using RTC 2.0 with client 2.0.0.2. I have a story with several work items under the story ... when I'm in the Team Folder View of the Plan Editor and I move the story to another folder in the plan, sometimes the order of the tasks ends up getting reversed.
For example:
Story XYZ
Task 1
Task 2
Task 3
ends up becoming
Story XYZ
Task 3
Task 2
Task 1

Has anyone noted this sort of behavior? Any way to get around it? Having "user defined" sorting in my Team Folder View is very important to me.
Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Ethan Vogel (5142) | answered Jun 02 '10, 5:11 p.m.
I found a pattern to when this happens and have opened defect http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=116847

For those that are interested, here's what I said in the defect report:

When working with planned items I have seen the order of work items in a story change when they shouldn't.

I've seen the order change in two types of cases, To reproduce them, start with a story like this:
In the Team Folders view, create a story with two child tasks so it looks like this:
Story 1
Task 1
Task 2

Case #1: If I move the story and it's two tasks to another folder, then it will appear in the other folder like this:
Story 1
Task 2
Task 1
I found that this happens only if I select the items by selecting the second task and, holding the shift key, select the Story, then drag to the other folder. If I select the Story first, then the last task it works OK. A minor annoyance now that I understand it, but it took a lot of experimenting to figure out what was going on.

Case #2: If I create a story as described above, then switch to another plan mode, for example "Work Breakdown", then order of the tasks is backwards as described in case #1.

VERSION INFO FOR MY CLIENT SOFTWARE:
Rational Team Concert
Version: 2.0.0.2
Build id: I20100331-2220

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.