It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Reporting Test Status *Without* Cognos?

David Moss (171156) | asked May 27 '10, 5:01 p.m.
In the online help for RQM under the "Reporting" heading, there is the topic "Reporting test status with Rational Quality Manager". Most of the topics deal with the mechanics of the buttons and UI elements in the reports, dashboards, etc., or things as simple as "How to open a report". There is one topic which explains what to click to import reports from Cognos.

My question/problem/concern is that the help does not actually answer the *business* question "How do I report on test status in RQM?". There seems to be a dearth of information on this topic. What little I seem to find indicates the desire for end users to leverage Cognos to get what they are looking for.

We have put together a set of RQM usage guidelines in an attempt to actually get something consumable by the business owners to answer this question, but it feels very much like we're trying to put a square peg in a round hole. For example:
-Specific test plan and test case naming conventions to help identify distinct parameter values that might otherwise look exactly the same (e.g., two test plans with the same name but different category value data used to differentiate them during planning).
-The use of "weight =1" for all test assets in order to get a "count of tests passed/failed within a test plan" by using the included TER-based reports. (Management is VERY keen on knowing the % of test cases passing and failing within one or more test plans).
-The use of Suites in order to provide the ability to assign an owner responsible for executing tests when it is appropriate to execute.

Furthermore, with regard to all of the included "Requirements" based reports...they seem only to work with the "RQM requirements"...not with requirements tracked through RRC and linked over to RQM (using links of collections-to-plans or requirements-to-cases). If I expand my reporting view of the world to want to include requirements linked to RQM through the Cross-Server linking, is Cognos my only choice? The "Architecture" topic on custom reporting seems to indicate this is the only way to collect this information from all sources.

Perhaps there are some white papers or insight out there about these things, but the feeling my end users get when they start using RQM is "This is great, it's very open and flexible, I can test plan in any number of ways."
"Now it's time to execute tests...this also seems very flexible. But wait...do I need to use a Suite? TERs?"
"I've executed tests, saved my results...now what? How can I see how I am doing?"

Then they get to the help topic "Reporting test status with Rational Quality Manager", and they feel lost, because it does nothing to answer that question for them.

If I look only within the realm of RQM (ignoring RRC/RTC), are custom reports the only way to simply derive this information?

Is Cognos included (license/payment wise) with RQM?

I need to note that we are currently running RQM 2.0.0.1 iFix3 in production. There was an iFix released the day before our scheduled production installation and due to numerous problems with prior installs and upgrades we are vetting each release in a sandbox environment first--so even that iFix had to be postponed. That process takes time, and so we still don't have 2.0.1 up and running. I know there are always improvements, so if "upgrade to version xyz" is the recommendation, please point out the feature/report/etc. which drives that recommendation.

Any and all opinions/insight into this would be greatly appreciated, especially from the Jazz team here. Thank you.

4 answers

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Jun 04 '10, 1:15 p.m.
Can anyone from the Jazz team provide any direction on this topic?

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Jun 04 '10, 10:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is Cognos included (license/payment wise) with RQM?

Rational Common Reporting (RCPR) is included with every licensed copy of Rational Quality Manager (RQM), and provides advanced reporting against a single data source: RQM.

Behind the scenes, RCPR is Rational Insight with one major modification: it will *only* report on data from RQM. It cannot be configured to pull in data from other sources.

Reporting across multiple data sources requires a full install of Rational Insight, and a Rational Insight license (which is a separate purchase from RQM). This is what you need if you are going to be running reports based on data pulled in from multiple sources (example: RQM, ClearQuest, RequisitePro).

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Jun 09 '10, 10:11 a.m.
Thanks, Patrick. I will dig around and try and get RCPR up and running in our staging environment. I do have users who are only concerned with the RQM view of things, so it sounds like that will work.

The "future state" of things will want to pull data only from the Jazz tools--we are making a one-time cutover from ReqPro, ClearCase, CQ, etc... so we won't need a solution to bridge back to the old tools. Is Insight still the only solution for crossing over to RTC/RRC from RQM?

permanent link
Amrutha Penmasta (2122) | answered Jun 30 '10, 10:48 a.m.
Hey Caimoss. So did u install Rational Common Reporting and did u start doing reports in RCR.If yes how flexible is it? How flexible is it to pull data from RQM DB and put it into RCR. Is RCR very flexible in terms of customizing reports as we wish to? Please throw some light on these questions if you are aware of them. I am right now working with RQM and planning to go with RCR for reporting. Do u advice it?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.