It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Visual Studio 2010 error after install RTC for VS iFIX 3 M1

carlos roberto (21443030) | asked May 20 '10, 4:04 p.m.
I have VS 2010 Ultimate. After install RTC 2.0.0.2 iFIX 3 M1 when I try to start VS2010 it shows an error and says need close. I will uninstall this milestone and check if VS 2010 works again.
Yes, after uninstall iFIX3 M1 VS2010 started to work again.
I am using RTC Express-C
Any idea?

13 answers

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered May 21 '10, 12:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,
not sure if you're starting with a supported configuration.
See: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27015716

I would encourage you to use 2.0.0.2 iFix2 + a supported version of VS.

Thanks.
Eric.

carlosl a crit :
I have VS 2010 Ultimate. After install RTC 2.0.0.2 iFIX 3 M1 when I
try to start VS2010 it shows an error and says need close. I will
uninstall this milestone and check if VS 2010 works again.
Any idea?

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered May 23 '10, 12:19 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Carlos, I have a few questions about your setup.
What's your OS?
Do you have any older installs of VS installed?
Are you using a VM?

We (RTC SVT/development) had run into similar issues but those we discovered were because of issues with the order of installing RTC and VS 2010.

For example we didn't uninstall an earlier version of RTC before installing VS 2010. Instead, we installed VS2010 first, then uninstalled an earlier version of RTC and then installed this version. This seemed to have caused some type of corruption and we ran into the exact same problem. This is tracked by https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/113391.

We've had other reportings of the same problem at https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/115700
We're actively investigating this issue.

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered May 24 '10, 7:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We tried on two different VM (Windows Vista SP1 and 32bit Windows 7 Professional) and we are not seeing the crash. Following is the steps we have followed:
1) Get a clean VM with either Windows Vista or 32bit Win-7 Professional installed.
2) Install VS2010 professional
3) Install RTC for Visual studio client(2002 iFix3 M1)
4) Start Visual Studio 2010 and perform RTC operations,viz. open Team Artifact navigator, connect to a repository, load a workspace etc.
5) Exit VS and start VS again, this time VS is started with "Jazz" as the Source Control provider, the VS starts without a crash and I can continue to work with VS/RTC.

As I could not test with VS2010 ultimate edition, we have asked one of our testing teams to try it out, meanwhile can you please test on a clean VM which never had any VS2010 installed(follow the above mentioned steps 1-5). I remember reading about some issues when VS2010 GA was installed on the same machine which had an earlier version of VS2010(like RC) installed.

If you cannot install on a new/clean VM and want to use the existing setup, their is a crude workaround for the crash ie you should start VS with not having Jazz as the source control provider, following are the steps:
1) Start VS2010 in safe mode(ie at the command prompt type: devenv /safeMode)
2) Open Tools->options menu in VS and set the Source Control to None.
3) Now start VS2010 normally and after it comes up change the Source control to Jazz.
4) Before existing VS2010 make sure the source control is set to None, else VS will crash at the startup and you have to again execute steps-1,2

What's your OS?
Are you using a VM?

We (RTC SVT/development) had run into similar issues but those we discovered were because of issues with the order of installing RTC and VS 2010.

For example we didn't uninstall an earlier version of RTC before installing VS 2010. Instead, we installed VS2010 first, then uninstalled an earlier version of RTC and then installed this version. This seemed to have caused some type of corruption and we ran into the exact same problem. This is tracked by https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/113391.

We've had other reportings of the same problem at https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/115700

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered May 24 '10, 9:10 a.m.
My configuration:
- Windows 7 x64 (no VM)
- Before install VS 2010, I had VS 2005/2008 that was not uninstalled. I just added VS 2010.
- RTC 2002 iFix2 was previously installed. I uninstalled RTC 2002 iFIX2.

After install 2002 iFIX3 M1, I was able to start VS 2010 and set source control to Jazz. But after close VS I was not able to start it again. That matches your comment about start VS using safe mode. I will try this workaround.
Thanks.

We tried on two different VM (Windows Vista SP1 and 32bit Windows 7 Professional) and we are not seeing the crash. Following is the steps we have followed:
1) Get a clean VM with either Windows Vista or 32bit Win-7 Professional installed.
2) Install VS2010 professional
3) Install RTC for Visual studio client(2002 iFix3 M1)
4) Start Visual Studio 2010 and perform RTC operations,viz. open Team Artifact navigator, connect to a repository, load a workspace etc.
5) Exit VS and start VS again, this time VS is started with "Jazz" as the Source Control provider, the VS starts without a crash and I can continue to work with VS/RTC.

As I could not test with VS2010 ultimate edition, we have asked one of our testing teams to try it out, meanwhile can you please test on a clean VM which never had any VS2010 installed(follow the above mentioned steps 1-5). I remember reading about some issues when VS2010 GA was installed on the same machine which had an earlier version of VS2010(like RC) installed.

If you cannot install on a new/clean VM and want to use the existing setup, their is a crude workaround for the crash ie you should start VS with not having Jazz as the source control provider, following are the steps:
1) Start VS2010 in safe mode(ie at the command prompt type: devenv /safeMode)
2) Open Tools->options menu in VS and set the Source Control to None.
3) Now start VS2010 normally and after it comes up change the Source control to Jazz.
4) Before existing VS2010 make sure the source control is set to None, else VS will crash at the startup and you have to again execute steps-1,2

What's your OS?
Are you using a VM?

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered May 26 '10, 12:15 p.m.
We think we've identified the cause for the crash - thanks for reporting it.

We've uploaded the latest bits for the RTC Client for Visual Studio, to http://jazz.net/test/RTC-VS-Client-I20100524-2200-Win32-Local.zip. The crash turned out to be an issue with the .NET 4.0 framework which we're in the process of reporting to Microsoft. The new bits we've uploaded have a workaround.

The only difference you will see is that if you have autologin set, the login messages will not show up in the Visual Studio status bar at start up. We will write a tech tip on this difference once we've verified that the users who experienced the crash have run the RTC VS Client successfully with the new bits.

Please let us know whether this fixed the crash you found.

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered May 27 '10, 2:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We have a workaround for this issue if you do not want to install the new bits and use the existing bits. The root cause for this seems to be the Animation for the Visual Studio Status bar progress viewer. During start up if the animation is accessed Visual Studio 2010 crashes. The simple workaround for this is disable the ich client visual experience in VS2010. To disable this feature start VS2010(in safemode it its crashing), open Tools-Option page and under "Environment->General" page deselect the following
(a) Automatically adjust visual experieance based on client perfomance
(b) Enable rich client visual experience

Close VS2010 and restart.

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered May 27 '10, 9:09 a.m.
Hi,
I've installed this new version and have some comments:
- Yes, after install RTC for VS, I could open VS2010 and it did not crashed. But I got some error messages from components of VSTS SQLServer database. I answered not to remove the messages.
- I closed VS2010 and started it again and the error messages has gone.
- the embedded RTC browser looks to be working fine. It never worked for me in VS2008.
- I found an issue in VS 2010 IDE. When I open a window like Output, Find Results, etc, I am not able to see the resize icon that appears in the border and allows me to resize the window. I can resize the window but I need find the exact point in the border to click the mouse. It is a pain. I noticed that if I Log Off the Project Area, close VS2010 and open it again, then the resize icon is there again and working.
I will post here any other issue that I find out.
Thanks.

We think we've identified the cause for the crash - thanks for reporting it.

We've uploaded the latest bits for the RTC Client for Visual Studio, to http://jazz.net/test/RTC-VS-Client-I20100524-2200-Win32-Local.zip. The crash turned out to be an issue with the .NET 4.0 framework which we're in the process of reporting to Microsoft. The new bits we've uploaded have a workaround.

The only difference you will see is that if you have autologin set, the login messages will not show up in the Visual Studio status bar at start up. We will write a tech tip on this difference once we've verified that the users who experienced the crash have run the RTC VS Client successfully with the new bits.

Please let us know whether this fixed the crash you found.

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered May 27 '10, 11:31 a.m.
Thanks Carlos for verifying the fix.
As for the problems with the resizing, could you try out the steps Kishore has posted in this discussion?
You need to open Tools-Option page and under "Environment->General" page de-select the following
(a) Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance

Do you setill see the problem?

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered May 27 '10, 5:05 p.m.
The workaround from Kishore does not work. The resizing still does not appear when I logon in Project Area.
Thanks.

Thanks Carlos for verifying the fix.
As for the problems with the resizing, could you try out the steps Kishore has posted in this discussion?
You need to open Tools-Option page and under "Environment->General" page de-select the following
(a) Automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance

Do you setill see the problem?

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered May 27 '10, 11:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have raised the WI for this issue "https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=116275"

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.