It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I reset my Mac RTC Client preferences/authentication?

Shawn Lauriat (5142) | asked Mar 12 '10, 1:48 p.m.
Every time I open RTC, it hammers the server with my username and a now-old password, causing the server to lock me out until I reset my password. Then, when I open RTC to try again, it does the same thing.

I just want to open the RTC client so I can do ONE THING that I can't from the web client. How can I wipe this profile from the RTC client in MacOS so I can actually use it again?

8 answers

permanent link
Shawn Lauriat (5142) | answered Mar 15 '10, 11:19 a.m.
I simply can't find where RTC stores the preferences. I just want to find them and remove them so I can keep RTC from locking me out every time I open the rich client. Does it store the settings in the application itself? Or maybe a hidden directory somewhere?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 15 '10, 5:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I simply can't find where RTC stores the preferences. I just want to find them and remove them so I can keep RTC from locking me out every time I open the rich client. Does it store the settings in the application itself? Or maybe a hidden directory somewhere?

I don't recall where the username/password is stored - but you could start the client in a new Eclipse workspace - that should prevent RTC from using the previously-stored details. If you have also selected the option not to prompt for the Eclipse workspace, start from the commandline using the -data option, passing a new directory name as the parameter.

anthony

permanent link
Shawn Lauriat (5142) | answered Mar 15 '10, 7:25 p.m.
I bit the bullet and let it lock me out, resetting passwords. However, this time, I told it not to auto-login, in an effort to avoid the same situation in the future.

If that fails, I'll give your suggestion a shot, though. Thanks!

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 16 '10, 3:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

to change these preferences is fairly straight forward really. No need to do anything drastically as changing the workspace. Just right click the repository connection and select its preferences in the context menu.

Another brute force method would be to delete the repository connection and create a new one.....

Sorry that I didn't catch this in time to help you avid to create a new workspace.

I bit the bullet and let it lock me out, resetting passwords. However, this time, I told it not to auto-login, in an effort to avoid the same situation in the future.

If that fails, I'll give your suggestion a shot, though. Thanks!

permanent link
Shawn Lauriat (5142) | answered Mar 16 '10, 11:04 a.m.
Right, but if you check my initial post, I have a problem where I need to change my RTC password periodically, and the RTC client starts up with the old password and hammers the server over and over again with it until the server locks me out for trying with the wrong password too many times.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 16 '10, 11:25 a.m.
Shawn,

I got the point now, I guess. I was not aware you have a limitation on login tries. You still can uncheck login automatically and remember my password in the repository connection properties though. No need for a new workspace.

The issue you have with your infrastructure I can't fix however.

I only assume that others could have similar policies and run into the same thing. Maybe it would be a good idea to submit a work item against RTC to provide an option to try it n times as a maximum where n can be configured. Or you could write a work item against your infrastructure team to try figure a solution e.g. increase the number of tries for a specific URL or way to log in?

Ralph

Right, but if you check my initial post, I have a problem where I need to change my RTC password periodically, and the RTC client starts up with the old password and hammers the server over and over again with it until the server locks me out for trying with the wrong password too many times.

permanent link
Shawn Lauriat (5142) | answered Mar 16 '10, 12:03 p.m.
Funnily enough - not my infrastructure, but that implemented on jazz.net.

I've opened an enhancement request with what I think it should do: http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=109098

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 16 '10, 12:37 p.m.
Bummer, you got me with this one 8-)

Funnily enough - not my infrastructure, but that implemented on jazz.net.

I've opened an enhancement request with what I think it should do: http://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=109098

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.