It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is MS Word mandatory?

Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | asked Mar 11 '10, 2:51 p.m.
Is MS Word mandatory? Can we use another text editor applciation?

Thank you
Eduardo

5 answers

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Mar 12 '10, 12:10 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Requirements Composer uses it's own text editor. It does not use MS Word. Composer does provide the option of exporting certain artifacts to MS Word documents, but you don't have to have MS Word on your machine to perform the export (only to view the results obviously).
You would also need MS Word if you were to import .doc/.docx files into the repository and then want to view/edit those.

permanent link
Rob Logie (33825041) | answered Mar 12 '10, 12:25 a.m.
Could you use OpenOffice or Lotus Symphony instead of word ?

Requirements Composer uses it's own text editor. It does not use MS Word. Composer does provide the option of exporting certain artifacts to MS Word documents, but you don't have to have MS Word on your machine to perform the export (only to view the results obviously).
You would also need MS Word if you were to import .doc/.docx files into the repository and then want to view/edit those.

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Mar 12 '10, 7:45 a.m.

OK, I see.

As per your explanation if I want to edit the document, I need MS Word installed. So in order to create a requirement inside a document, I need MS Word installed. Is there a way of using OpenOffice or Lotus Simphony, for example?

Thank you

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Mar 12 '10, 10:27 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
OK, I see.

As per your explanation if I want to edit the document, I need MS Word installed. So in order to create a requirement inside a document, I need MS Word installed. Is there a way of using OpenOffice or Lotus Simphony, for example?

Thank you

No, maybe I didn't describe this well enough. If someone uploads a Word document, then yes, you'll need Word to edit it. Same as if they uploaded an Excel spreadsheet, you'd need Excel to edit that. If you simply create a document, or a requirement in a document, that's using Composer's own text editor and doesn't require Word at all.
That said, if someone does upload a Word document to RRC (note you can't directly create one in RRC), if you attempt to open/edit it, I believe you'll be prompted for the system editor to use if Word isn't found, so OpenOffice or Symphony would work if they support the conversion properly (and allow you to save it back in Word format).
Hope that clarifies this.

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Mar 12 '10, 11:14 a.m.
OK, I see.

Thank you

No, maybe I didn't describe this well enough. If someone uploads a Word document, then yes, you'll need Word to edit it. Same as if they uploaded an Excel spreadsheet, you'd need Excel to edit that. If you simply create a document, or a requirement in a document, that's using Composer's own text editor and doesn't require Word at all.
That said, if someone does upload a Word document to RRC (note you can't directly create one in RRC), if you attempt to open/edit it, I believe you'll be prompted for the system editor to use if Word isn't found, so OpenOffice or Symphony would work if they support the conversion properly (and allow you to save it back in Word format).
Hope that clarifies this.

Oh, great. That's wonderful. Thank you so much for the explanation.

Eduardo

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.