It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does the addition of GC and local baselines impact QM and RM?

Venkatesh Bhat (29234) | asked Jul 01, 11:57 p.m.
I have an inquiry regarding baselines. Let me first clarify my understanding (I will use ETM as an example, but I believe it is the same with RM):

- Artifacts (TC, TCER, TCR, etc.) are stored externally (outside of configuration).
- Local Configuration stores a version of artifacts.
- GC stream does not store data, only references local stream/baseline.

The question at hand is how data is stored:
What is the impact of creating numerous local baselines? Does a baseline contain a duplication of all data?
Or does an artifact contain all its versions and the baseline only contains references to the related versions (with configuration acting as a filter)?

We are attempting to assess the frequency at which we can create baselines without affecting server storage.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Richard Watts (362) | answered Jul 03, 2:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

A baseline describes artifacts at a specific point in time. Implementations vary, but generally, it is the specific versions (a list) of artifacts that are used at a point in time.

A Local Global Configuration is a grouping of one or more baselines with the artifacts being from the same application. To see Global Configurations across tools, you would need to examine the GCM Global Configuration.

A local GC is used to resolve components to a GC context. It also includes GC contribution data. We keep local versions in the applications to improve overall performance. A GC is a collection of versioned artifacts from one or more tools. A local GC will show you those streams and contained artifacts that "live" in that tool. 
<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>   </o:p>

GC Stream <o:p> </o:p>

ETM Stream <o:p> </o:p>

Test Case 1 Version <o:p> </o:p>

Test Case 2 Version <o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>   </o:p>

The local configuration shows you those elements in that tool, while the global version gives you a view across multiple products.  <o:p> </o:p>

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 03, 3:48 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I assume point in time means the item id and item state at that point in time, Rich.

Richard Watts commented Jul 05, 8:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes.  Correct. A baseline is a list of artifact versions at a specific point in time (that are contained within that baseline).

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 02, 2:33 a.m.

The ELM tools, when using them configuration management enabled, do not duplicate data. The configurations select the version.

Comments
Venkatesh Bhat commented Jul 02, 2:55 a.m.

thaks for the quick answer, Ralph! Can you elaborate little more, please?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 02, 4:01 a.m.

My understanding is:

Items have an item ID. Each item has a state ID. When Items are changed, a new state id is used. An item can have a predecessor item, this makes up the history.

Configurations like baselines select the item and state for the elements they contain as far as I know. So they do not store a copy of the object but a reference to the version of the object.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.