It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Usage of "ForeignID" attribute in DNG

Karthik Krishnan (8845119163) | asked Apr 30, 8:51 a.m.

We have an attribute "ForeignID" in DNG  to manage the ids of foreign system during import.

The same is also used to store the id of the artifact during ReqIF import as well..

Question here is, 
- Can we have the attribute name as "ForeignID" or is it used internally by DNG? 
- Are there any downsides with the name "ForeignID"

since DNG is allowing us to create the attribute with name "ForeignID" it is bit confusing,.

Can someone clarify this?
Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.4k217) | answered Apr 30, 7:08 p.m.
I would not use ForeignID for any of your own data - I would leave all those fields as reserved for possible ReqIF usage.

The standard approach that I take with my clients is to create a custom attribute called RefID instead, and then that can be used for any external ID from other systems that you have control over

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented May 02, 1:29 a.m.

Thanks Davyd. Do we know why we it is not recommended to have the same name? 

If it is reserved, wondering why DNG didn't prevent us from creating these system attributes in first place

Davyd Norris commented May 02, 3:10 a.m.
It's not reserved, it's just used by ReqIF - many people don't use ReqIF at all, and you're free to create and use a field with that name, but if you ever do use ReqIF then it's going to cause a clash.

I figure you may as well avoid it just in case

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.