It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Define Drop-Down list of integers

Pnina Lavie (46521) | asked Mar 04, 6:48 a.m.
Hi
I'd like to define an attribute in RTC that consist of drop-down list of  integers, so only one can be selected. (like enumeration, but the values should be integers). The reason is that it needs to export it to excel and do calculations on the selected integers.
How can I do it?
Thanks, Pnina

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 04, 8:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is an attribute type Integer that you can use for integers. There is no option to make that a drop down selection. You have to type the integer. 

I do not think Excel cares about the type, it cares a bout the representation. If you want a drop down, you have to use an enumeration. 

If you want to use an enumeration, carefully test on a test machine, what gets exported. I think it is the (string)value of the enumeration.
You can also define an enumeration in a way, where the literal ID is represented by a number, and the display value looks a bit different. In order to get the result like below, you have to define the enumeration literals and then go into the process configuration source to manually modify the enumeration literal ID values to what you desire. As an example look at the built in complexity

enumeration attributeTypeId="complexity" name="Complexity"
        literal id="1" name="1 pt"
        literal id="2" name="2 pts"

Comments
Pnina Lavie commented Mar 06, 4:19 a.m.

Hi Ralph, 

Thanks for the answer. I'll be more specific about the issue: I'm talking about "Story Points" attribute, the request is to export the related integer value to excel, i.e. 1/2/3/5/8/13/21 to do some calculations for reporting needs.
What is the best way to do it?
Thanks!

Pnina 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 07, 2:31 a.m.

I don't understand, why you asked your original question, if you have a totally different question. Have you tried to export to Excel? Maybe you can use macros to remove the PTS in the value? Otherwise my original answer holds and you could create a new complexity attribute of type integer or enumeration and define that without the pts and select it as complexity attribute.

Pnina Lavie commented Mar 13, 6:34 a.m.

Hi, I finally used your original answer and it worked well. Thank You! 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 13, 7:59 a.m.

Then please accept the original answer. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.