It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

does an extension developed with RTC 605 Server SDK can work on Server 702

Rafael Rodriguez Montes (23013130258) | asked Oct 06 '23, 11:55 a.m.

Hello, 

I been trying to use an extension developed with the Server SDK 605 with a 702 instance, but is not working, it gets install success, I can add it in the follow-up actions but seems that is not called or doesn't give any sign that is working so I wonder if I will have to move it to ServerJDK for 702?  
Thank you

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 06 '23, 1:07 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You should always build and test the extensions with the SDK matching your server versions.
Often this does not matter so much, but when changing the Java version or fixing the Log4J2 issues, it can count.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 06 '23, 1:08 p.m.

Having said that, I do not know which old SDKs are available The latest is 7.0.2SR1 which has potentially breaking changes compared to 7.0.2 before that release.

Rafael Rodriguez Montes commented Oct 09 '23, 11:52 a.m.

Thank you Ralph, I wonder for the ones we use old API, If there is a workshop just for update libraries? instead to going from scratch 

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 10 '23, 3:22 a.m. | edited Oct 10 '23, 3:26 a.m.

My personal opinion is that you have these options:

1. You deploy your current extensions in a test server and test them. If they work, you can try them on the productive system. 
  2. You setup a development environment (Extensions Workshop Lab 1). You load/import your code for the extensions into the corresponding workspace(s). You check for compiler errors (API changes) update the required java version and whatever else is needed. You test on Jetty. You rebuild and repackage.
    You deploy on a test server and then on the production systems, if you are sure all is well.
I am not aware of a simpler approach.

I have seen very few changes (1 or 2) in the APIs that break the code, but the update to Log4J2 is definitely something that can have impact, due to log4j API changes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.