It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

what is the main difference between client SDK and plain Java client libraries?

lakshmi jyothsna (3716) | asked Jul 31 '20, 1:47 a.m.

Hi Everyone ,

May be the question sounds like odd , but i am not understanding clearly what is the different between client sdk and plain java client lib and their use cases ? In which scenario we opt for client SDK and whats the best scenario of using client java libs? any limitations are there ?

Thanking you..

Jyothsna.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 31 '20, 2:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 31 '20, 2:11 a.m.
The SDK is packaged to be functioning as a target platform for the Eclipse Plugin Development Environment, including source code. The Plain Java Client Libraries are packaged as stand alone Java jars without source code.

The SCK has a server part, the Plain Java Client Libraries are client and common only.

I always use the SDK. My development workspaces are all set up as in the RTC Extensions workshop. This gives me always the SDK source code visibility. All my projects are created as Plugin Projects which is key for the PDE to provide the SDK code visibility. Client applications have the Plain Java Client Libraries configured as user library to allow to run and debug them. A good example is the work item command line, that is developed using the SDK, but has the plain java client libraries in the build path and also requires the Plain Java Client libraries to be in the classpath when running it.

You use the plain java client libraries if you want to ship common and client API with your automation.
lakshmi jyothsna selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
lakshmi jyothsna commented Jul 31 '20, 2:34 a.m.

Hi Ralph ,

Thanks for your quick and nice reply. Small doubt i have , Do we need to create feature and updatesite folders for client SDK plugin development and can we deploy that in server same as server plugin?

Thanks,
Jyothsna.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 31 '20, 2:55 a.m. | edited Jul 31 '20, 6:22 a.m.
If you create an Eclipse client extension, you need to be able to deploy it in the Eclipse client - see the extensions workshop or the Eclipse community pages for options.

You never deploy a client plugin in the server. If you have common stuff you need to deploy with the Eclipse client and the EWM server, you follow the extensions workshop and package client and common for client deployment and common and server part for server deployment. Again, see the Extensions Workshop for how that works.

lakshmi jyothsna commented Jul 31 '20, 5:25 a.m.

thanks alot for very clear explanation. 

lakshmi jyothsna commented Aug 05 '20, 12:44 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

please explain the difference in using plain java lib and client SDK? can the usage of them is interchangeable? Could you please let me know how they are differ ?

Thanks.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 05 '20, 1:44 a.m. | edited Aug 05 '20, 1:44 a.m.

They are interchangeable for certain purposes. Unless you performed the Extensions Workshop you will not understand what the SDK does and I don't think trying to explain more would make any sense..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.