It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automate the global variable linking

prabodh kumar shaw (21) | asked May 22 '23, 12:10 p.m.
edited May 23 '23, 9:52 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)

I want to use global variable that will be use for all the project. can you please suggest how to write code for automatic linking of  global variable. 

We can create a separate file for list of global variables .
While writing , it shows the available suggestion of variable and link it. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '23, 2:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is not a question. Neither does it contain any actionable information. 

Please carefully read: How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers?

Then refine your statement above to a question that is understandable and explains what the question/intent is.

prabodh kumar shaw commented May 23 '23, 9:14 a.m.

How to use global variable in DNG? Example I have A , B , C project. Every project having temperature, speed etc values. How can I use one variable list that will contain the values of all the projects? 

David Honey commented May 23 '23, 9:53 a.m.

I still don't understand what you are describing.
What do you mean "every project has temperature"?
Are you talking about a custom artifact attribute named temperature in multiple components or project areas?
Perhaps some screenshots showing what you're trying to do would make this clearer.
Or at least describe the dialogs where this data is currently defined.

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '23, 10:05 a.m. | edited May 23 '23, 10:06 a.m.

DNG does not support anything like global variables. It is unclear what variable means in this context.

In addition it is very unlikely that there is only one speed, temperature, etc. Per project. So you would also not access them across projects.

DNG is a requirements management system. You have requirements, requirements have attributes, attributes are of  a certain type and can contain certain values. Values might be discrete values or numbers, strings etc..

Each component has its own type system that defines this. Types in different components can be the same, or not.  

So you have to explain what you want to achieve/solve and not assume an implementation concept.

prabodh kumar shaw commented May 23 '23, 10:08 a.m. | edited May 23 '23, 12:27 p.m.

variable Discription Project A Project B Project C
temp Temperature 20 30 10
Speed Speed 5000 2000 4000

Sorry for my bad explanations. Above is the example of some variable name in different project areaa.
I dont want to put values of variable in the requirements section . In place of that I will put variable name and add value in separate module or files .
I think it explains

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '23, 10:11 a.m.

You want to look into https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elms/elm/7.0.2?topic=components-managing-project-component-properties to understand what the concepts are that might be involved. 

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '23, 10:17 a.m.

See https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elms/elm/7.0.2?topic=components-managing-project-component-properties to understand what the concepts are that might be involved.  

A project does not have a temperature. A requirement might be located in a module in a Stream in a component in a project area and have a temperature. But very likely not. What temperature, environmental? Maximal? Celsius, Farenheit? Please read about project properties and templates and what they do in the link above.

A requirement type can have a temperature attribute of a temperature type that accepts numbers. However they are most likely not tied to a project area, but to a type system. The values will likely be number types so that they can be specified as desired.

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.