It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it safe to delete /tmp/versionedcontentservice folder?

Naveen V (791759) | asked Nov 15 '22, 8:39 a.m.

I see /tmp/versionedcontentservice folder is 166 GB size. Due to it we are running out of space. Is it safe to remove some of the files from this folder?

at versionedcontentservice 

This folder growing day by day. Can we set some limitation and delete the older files?
Any impact if we delete this folder?

Thanks,

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 15 '22, 11:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'd consider to create a support case.

I remember I deleted the folder once and it was complaining. That could be because I had the server running, but you want to make sure.  

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 15 '22, 11:58 a.m.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 16 '22, 3:27 a.m.

My understanding from https://www.google.com/search?q=delete+versionedcontentservice+site%3Ajazz.net  is, that this folder is used to store temporary data uploaded during certain operations such as SCM checkin.

The answers and articles indicate that you can not delete the folder while the server is running. You can define different locations in the teamserver.properties/advanced properties. This requires a server restart.  https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/check-or-deliver-code-using-rational-team-concert-results-vcstmpdir-error-message
1. Move the folder to a more convenient place. 
2. Do not delete the folder or its content while the server is running.
3. To get rid of the data, I would shut down the server and then empty the folder, the documentation indicates this would be tolerated.

If you want to make sure, open a case with support.

Comments
Naveen V commented Nov 16 '22, 1:35 p.m.

Thank you Ralph. If we stop the server and then clean this folder will not impact or loose the data right?

IBM support guy mentioned as below so we should not delete it. But this folder growing every day a lot. 

I was talking with our Advanced Support, and it doesn't recommend deleting these files, because these folders store the work items attachments such as build results, process definitions, and team member photos, etc. 

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 17 '22, 2:20 a.m. | edited Nov 17 '22, 2:21 a.m.

This is a forum. No guarantees. If you want a definitive answer, open a case with IBM support. Having said that, my understanding, from what I found in the forum and on support pages is, that 

1. The contentservice and versionedcontentservice folder is used by the server to temporarily store data e.g. during uploads of attachments or big files during SCM operations. 
  2. The contentservice and versionedcontentservice folder can be changed requiring a reboot.
When the folder can be changed, my conclusion is, that the server does no longer require the data in the old folder. I would change the location of the temp folder and reboot. Then I would rename the old folder and monitor the log files. If there are no issues, delete the old folder. I would ask support if it was a good idea to have some purging done on the folder in case of reboots of the application server. Maybe delete the content of the folder and not the folder itself during a reboot?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.