It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

JavaScript modal for attribute help

Brad Morse (235) | asked Mar 22 '22, 3:51 p.m.

I have done extensive modification to life cycles in Rational Change, but do not see any way to customize RTC in the same ways. One thing that has helped the teams is to have a help icon next to an attribute that when clicked will open a model and provide extensive help for the attribute, such as guidance on selecting a value from a dropdown.

Can this be accomplished in RTC? 

I did see something as a Type Description link at one time, but don't know how to get it back. Although this does not directly solve this issue.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments
Brad Morse commented Mar 22 '22, 3:52 p.m. | edited Mar 23 '22, 4:31 a.m.

Correction the icon link opens a modal not model.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 23 '22, 5:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Brad,

I am not aware of a capability to provide such a hint on individual attribute.

You can provide a description in the editor presentation, if you want to. 

It should show up like this:

We use another mechanism in processes such as Safe, where a link is provided to navigate to an external description.

This requires opening a browser on the link. The description there would be for the whole type. It could refer to a whole process description, where you could continue navigating wherever you please.

Brad Morse selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 23 '22, 6:26 a.m.
The last solution works better in the Web UI, you can open the link in a new tab.

This is also implemented on editor presentation level:

Brad Morse commented Mar 23 '22, 2:23 p.m.

Hi Ralph, Thanks for the answer. 

The second option will give me the opportunity to build the pages in a separate application and display on the editor. I would have been good to be able to have more control over the anchor tag this produces as the hyperlink in the rich text only allows the URL and a display text.

The first option may be helpful but may not be apparent to the user that it is there unless they hover over every attribute.

Maybe the ability to make a guidance modal could be suggested as an enhancement.

Brad Morse commented Mar 25 '22, 2:37 p.m.

Is it possible to add the necessary JavaScript using themes:

In this article it mentions that custom JavaScript can be added.

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 28 '22, 2:12 a.m. | edited Mar 28 '22, 9:53 a.m.

You can read in the documentation what it is good for. It is to present custom information such as maintenance, custom logos etc. So it allows to have your own company logo on the login page. You can also display some text such as "Click this link to get a license" or text such as "Scheduled maintenance Friday".

Typical target is login page and the outer borders around the Web UI. 

You can try to hook up more JavaScript. I'd warn against it. We had a customer raising a performance complaint because the Web UI became unusable and we found that they had tinkered with the theming and dramatically increased client chattiness and increasing the load  on the servers.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.