It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM i build command fails but the build is considered a success?

Christian Aasland (14) | asked Mar 10 '22, 3:26 p.m.
Our IBM i build command issues an escape message, however the build engine continues as if it were a success.

What does the build command need to do to cause the build to be considered a failure?

One answer

permanent link
jeff tickner (51710) | answered Mar 14 '22, 6:52 p.m.

You also haven't specified what Build style you are using since there are more than one or specifying what version of RTC which dictates what Build types you have available.

Generally if one of the compiles that the build engine is doing fails the build fails. If you have post processing after the compiles it can be much more difficult to get the Build Engine to recognize that the Build has 'failed'.
Even with an escape message (back when we used that in RTC3 and 4) if you answered the message wait with anything but a C the Build would not 'fail'.
In our Build process we had a plugin that allowed us to set an error state that was passed to the Build engine but I think IBM added a MSGID that was an error flag. Just did some searching on jazz.net and can't find it, probably remembering incorrectly.

Provide more detail 

Thanks Jeff
Arcad Software

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.